Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

I had a call today, woman sprayed some oven cleaner in a pot while it was on her new quartz top, put a circle in her counter, right over a seam as well. She said it was a white ring, around where the pot had set.

Anybody out there tried top polishing quartz?

Not that I would want to try it, just curious.

Wags

Al. the resin in quartz is Poly. same as Avonite class 3 material. They say 93% quartz and 7% resin, but they don’t say that’s by weight.. Of course the resin is much lighter than the quartz so the actual amount of resin is higher by volume. You know what would happen with Avonite and oven cleaner.. same thing with quartz. It can be polished but is not easy and may or may not go deep enought to remove the damaged resin. Perhaps Karl from BTP can address this as they are doing repairs on quartz I believe.

Too many people oversell granite and quartz, telling people its almost bullet proof.. which we know it isn’t. Least with SS it could be renewed or repaired. Better value in my book.. I wish them good luck !

Thanks Wags,

I thought about Karl on this matter, settled for rubbing her nose in the facts of chosing a countertop. Something was strange about the converstation about the top, she wouldn’t revel who she bought it from, said she didn’t remember, so I decided not to send her to Karl for help.

I made sure she knew that if had been solid surface, the repair would be simple and quick.

Karl Crooks

Al, she found us, she called our offices today. We told he what can be done but did not like the price. O well

fabmast

Then perhaps we can take up a collection and buy her a nice place mat to forever place over the stain !

Tom M

Any FabNet mouse pads left over?

Lenny E

How about making the honeowner a 1 sq- ft square solid surface trivet to “protect” the quartz, when cleaning pots? It could be inlaid with the phone number of the donating solid surface shop owner. When damaged, a repair could be done, and the homeowner would have a pretty good estimate of the sqaure foot cost of repair for her next surfacing purchase. Heh heh.

B Rgds,

Lenny

Karl,

Small world, huh.

Curious, email me what a typical cost would be on that type of repair.

Gordon Doull

Wags,

Don’t forget there is more than one experienced surface restoration company in the world.

We do high quality e-stone repairs too, you know. Is it the hair??!

Karl Crooks

Gordon we hear you guys do great work, we should share some of our best practices

Gordon Doull

Karl, how did you know that was my favorite animated show??!

Love it……

Karl Crooks

LOL us repair guys are cut from the same template !

Lenny E

Hi All,

Oven cleaners are caustics (bases) that liquify the burnt grease residues making them easier to remove and clean. They are death to polyesters as they decouple the acid and glycol linkages. Also drain cleaners like Drano have a similar if not worse effect. This is something that consumers buyng solid surface surface or E stone should be warned about. But I agreee, Solid surface is much easier to repair in the event of damage by caustics.

B Rgds,

Lenny

Norm Walters

Lenny, (decouple?) isn’t that something that happens when you throw water on two dogs??

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.