Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Chris Yaughn

Lined up a job today that wil have a one piece island. 48” X 96” with a slide in range centered on one(96”) side. My concern is the stability of this thing for installing. Should I have the fabricators drill the corners and score the cut lines so that I can do the cutout after install or is Quartz strong enough to carry in with the cutout missing. Kinda scares me to think about carrying a big C into the house.

Any experience with this would be appreciated.

Chris

Tom M

48″ wide? I wouldn’t worry too much. Just make sure you roll it up on a fulcrum. Slide and roll, so to speak.

Is the other half on cabinetry as well? 50: wide or so?

Chris Yaughn

Tom,

I would call it 48” deep and 96” wide. The cutout will be nearly half the depth and have 30 or so inches on each side. I may scan in a drawing later.

Chris

Tom M

Rear pop up on the slide in?

How is the backside supported? With cabinets or with brackets?

I still don’t think you need to clamp a board or a sheet, but if you do, I’d use a sheet of ply shallow enough to fit the rear clamps to fall inside the rear of the cabinet.

Karl Crooks

Many fabricators, especially the Stone guys, are very impressed with the strength of E-Stone and may not think twice about this type of install. But why not spend a few extra minuets and brace the front of the cut out just to be safe ?

Matt Kraft

Chris,

Do you have any of the sink saver rails that just suction cup to the face of the stone? If you continue to do stone and quartz work, they will come in handy. I would get them on my list of “wants”. They would work well on this application, even though given the dimensions that you gave, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. The Z bit should leave a radius in the corner, if it needs to be square, do that after its set, not before just to be safe.

But, I wouldn’t get overly concerned about this one.

Chris Yaughn

Thanks All,

This will be our first Quartz job, so I am not too familiar with the material. I will have the CNC boys cut it out , use a bubba sink saver rig (plywood) and start looking for help to carry the thing.

Chris

Tom M

It goes without saying (so why am I saying it?) that you need to block the clamp on the underside.

Chris Yaughn

Tom,

It also might go without saying that the CNC boys will leave a radius in the corner that I will have to clean up. But I wouldn;t have thought about that until after the first one.

I assume by block the clamp you mean using a piece of wood to distribute the force of the clamp so as not to break to top. I use these little guys alot around the shop (sinks, seams, straight edges, etc…) and have also had good experiences clamping them straihgt to granite (atleast so far). The ruber footy thing spreads out the lbs/sq inch I guess.

Chris

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.