Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I need to figure a price for a local contractor. I know them personally but this would be my first job for them, could lead to more. They are remodeling and adding an addition to a local church. During the course of remodeling the sacrament kitchen all the cabinets were torn out and new cabinets built in a straight run. There were two short straight runs previous. They now want to take the two tops and join them to make one long top. I have one of the short backsplashes to try and find out what color I am dealing with. The material is ¾ thick with no front buildup and no substaight. It looks to have been attached with liquid nail. There is an integrated single bowl sink that looks like it came as part of the sheet not glue in like we do now. The color that it matches to a current Corian sample is Vanilla.

I need to seam the two decks to make one and the same for the long backsplashes, 2 into 1. Then the entire deck, splashes and sink all need to be sanded out. It looks like know one ever heard of using a cutting board before. At least there are no burns.

I would appreciate any ideas on how to bid this. I don’t want to give it away, but also don’t want to price it so high that they wouldn’t want to use me in the future.

Thanks

Shawn

Norm Walters

Shawn, if there was a way to make it known to the members of the church that you worked on the tops and donated your time, I would consider doing it for free, what are you talking about (four or five hours). Plus you may be able to snag this new contractor. Just my opinion, I find it easier to donate a little time on the weekend for marketing purposes rather than paying money out for it.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Shawn,

The material is probably Corian: Almond. They don’ t make that color anymore. Many years ago that material and thickness were very popular.

I would tell them the cost for the job is “x” and then give them a big discount because you want the contractor work and plus you are working for the church. Be sure you show them on the contract what discount they are receiving. Keep in mind they probably don’t expect you to do it for free. Your time expertise is valuable. If they could do it, they would.

Todd w

Shawn,

Write up a full price bid for the church (not the contractor), then donate the entire thing.

The church gets the work done, the contractor thinks you’re a hero and
    you’re compensated by way of a tax credit (charitable donation).
    Compensation will be less than it should be, but it may open doors with
    the contractor and possibly the congregation.

Just an idea.

Todd

KCWOOD

The congregation rarely finds out you donated the job or not. I have donated work, cabinets and the only thing that happened was I felt good about it. I have charged full price to churches, there really is no difference about it creating work. I’m sure the contractor is not discounting anything for them.

If you did a great job, people will notice and remember that, as always. Most people I know just returns 10% of the job to the church.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.