Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Steven Meyer

Greetings,

We are fabricating tops with coved backsplashes (using Betterley/Pinske router) and no-drip front edges (using Amana router bit).

We are having great difficulties where the no-drip edge and the coved backsplash profiles meet (at endsplashes where tops abut wall, or at face ends where the no-drip profile returns to the wall).

What is the best way to address this?

One possible solution is to stop the splashes short of the ends – but that looks awkward. Are there other ways to do this?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Hello BEARlyworking,

OK this is going to be hard to explain but here goes.

• cut a slot all the way around the perimiter of the counter to accept a cove insert strip to be routed later by the betterly router or the no drip piece
    • Make the no drip piece to fit into the slot that you already have cut. This will be precut to the shape of the nodrip.
    • Glue the cove strip first and bump the no drip profile into the cove piece.
    • Betterly route the cove strip and stop before you run through the edge profile.
    • Buy yourself a small aluminum cutting die grinder that is about 5/8″ diameter end on it.
    • Stick it in a drill and shape the rest by hand.
    • Charge the customer a ton of money.
    • Then sand for the rest of you life.

Call me if you have any questions 714-393-5282

KCWOOD

Andy.. if you ever teach a fabricating class, I want to be in your class….

The one time I had this situation this is how I did it, it was not that hard to do and looked good when done.

1. Make your top to size and do the no drip edge. Jut like it was getting a set on splash.

2. Cut the slot to set the cove strip and splash in all the way to the end. You will have to raise the straight edge up on blocks to clear the no drip. Just adjust the height of the bit to accomodate this.

3. Then go and build your cove from there. There are several ways to do the cove. I learned from someone on here how to do it quick and neat with a $10 bit from a box store.

I then run a 3/8″ round over bit on the splash top and sides and finish blends in nice.

John

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

kcwood wrote

Andy.. if you ever teach a fabricating class, I want to be in your class….

I will be holding classes at the Expo if Mory will let me.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.