Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Vickers

Just finished this project today.

Cool jeff…great color combination…are they the same picture or is it one of those tests…try to find the differences from the picture on the left… I spotted an ant on the left leg of the chair…am i right?

jus kidding around great looking design and fabrication

Lenny E

Gene,

It may have been a  project commissioned by identical twins!

Jeff, all joking and kidding aside,  it looks spectacular!

Jeff Vickers

Thank you for your kind comments, as you can see I am a techno peasant, I don’t know how I managed the NEW YORK, NEW YORK effect, and worse, I am not sure how to correct it!

Lenny E

Mr Jeff, from accross the pond,

Dont worry, we are a motley crew here and like to joke. Search the website, Andy, a really great person, who is responsible for this miracle we call fabnet, posted how to post a pix in the past. And if you cant cant find it, just ask the esteemed Mr Andy and crew, I am sure they will help you corrrect it.

No need to correct it actually, all us jokesters live for this kinda stuff. Plus it allowed us all to get to know you better, Mr Jeff!

All the Best,

Lenny

Eli Polite

looking good

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Quick question Jeff, did you wrap the white columns with solid surface?

Project looks good. Commercial work seems to be the saving grace of this economy so far.

Jeff Vickers

Hi Andy,

The countertop divisions are Glacier White (Corian) and the tops are Formica Black Wolf (Surrell?) We already have an issue with the tops which are proving very easy to mark and show scratches (any comments welcome), and I think we may have a serious problem with the end user saying they are not fit for purpose. We have already resanded twice.

Jeff

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I don’t think you are going to get away from the scratching.   The design is nice though with the two different colors.

Lenny E

Dark colors are generally verboten in high wear areas. Im very aquainted with the black wolf pattern and its a scratcher.

I always try to reccomend light-neutral colors , matte finish for high wear areas, and often do a demo with a paper clip or keys (let the customer scratch a high polish dark color versus a light-neutral color- matte finish). It usually does the trick (they either opt out for a darker color harder surface- estone or granite, or choose a neutral color solid surface. Its always good to point out in the contract, that darker colors, higher gloss finishes exhibit wear.

Some people have been very successful offerring periodic reburbishing (refinishing) of dark tops, as a pay for service.

Norm Walters

Lenny, we are talking after the fact here, what is the solution now? Jeff, as long as you didn’t mislead them on the color, you might suggest capping them with 2cm granite or estone and see if they will annie up on some of the cost. If it comes down to it, seems like it would be less expensive for everyone involved rather than ripping the tops out. Or maybe capping them with that 1/8″ granite with the fiberglass backer, although that stuff isn’t cheap either.

Lenny E

Thanks for pointing that out Norm, I was going for a next time scenario. As far as wrapping SS with granite, my biggest concern would be thermal expansion. SS expands at a rate of 2-3 times greater than granite, which would be a concern in general especially around cooktops, and over dishwashers.. If the wrap was designed well to accomodate this it may work well , and my advice would be  to use elastomeric adhesive  to adhere the wrap.

Have you done wraps of this of type over SS?, maybe you and others can advise Jeff as to the best way to accomplish this.

Jeff, sand em back out to the way ya had them, then re-template so you can replace them with a 1/4″ glass cover…

if you dont like that idea, reface them with light ss with a Black edge border, make the new tops a little bigger to over hang the scratch tops…or try Black polyester SS..it scratches clear, not white like the acrylics…just a thought

but dont keep resanding it every week…its gonna give SS a bad name

Dark acrylics should be illegal to sell as well as white unsealed Stone

Jeff Vickers

What an amazing response, you guys are solid gold. Just to update y’all, this s/s is easily sratched with fingernails ( I could not believe it till I saw it with my own eyes). Been on to the UK Technical guy and he was concerned, it would appear that there are two specs for Black Wolf old/new, yipes. Customer was advised verbally about marking. (Always follow up in writing)

I think the answer would be to polish and then cover with glass.
    but I await Tech guys report. (have just sent sample offcuts)

Jeff

Jeff:

The only real question is who specified the tops in writing and who approved the tops in writing?

I’d be willing to bet the answer to those questions is the architect and the owner, respectively.

Architects can draw and specify any damn thing they please and often do. When they draw a one piece fourteen foot long backisland for the second floor of a retail store that has a twelve foot freight elevator, it’s not my fault it has to be made in two pieces.

You wouldn’t switch the tops if the customer changed their mind on the color after the fact, why switch for performance characteristics?

Eees not  my yob, mon,

Joe

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.