Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Padden

Hello everyone-

I wanted to post this question for everyone to comment on and I am especially looking to many of the California people like Andy, and others for your input on this:

On Tuesday of this week, I heard from a reliable source – that there’s a new law in California that will mandate the use of “Green” building products in ALL Residential and Commercial construction. This law goes into voluntary effect on January 1st, 2009. On January 1st of 2011 – the law will become mandatory.

Here’s my questions:

Did I hear this right?

Is this law saying that ALL new construction will be rquired to have “Green” products in them on and afterJanuary 1st, 2011?

What about remodeling projects where someone want to JUST replace their countertops – how will this kind of project be affected – if at all?

Is this ONLY for Government projects or is it for EVERYTHING in California?

What is the incentive for people to follow this law (besides that it’s a LAW) – will there be tax credits available to the buildong owners?

Again – I want to stress that this is just what I “heard” on Tuesday, It came from a very reliable source in the Architectural community and the guy that talked about it is pretty much a “God” in the LEEDS & “Green” movement, and so this has alot of credibility.

I am looking to fellow Fabnetters for your input on what You know about this new develpoment in California.

IF this is true, and I am understanding it correctly –  those of you that are working with “Green” products such as IceStone, Vitrazzo, Urbanslabs, Paperstone & Squakmountain Stone are already ahead of the curve. If you are NOT working with a “Green” product – it’s probably time to start scoping them out and getting familiar with as many as possible, so you can be ready for January 2nd, 2011 – especially if you live in Cali!!!!!

Thanks in advance for your responses……….

Best Regards & Happy Fabricating

kevin

Randy Evans

I think this link will take you to an article about it, and this one should open a PDF of the 66 pages of legislation.  Hope this helps.

Tom M

Randy!
    How was your trip?

Randy Evans

Okay, except that the disc I burned of your music wouldn’t play in my company car. That was disappointing, but otherwise it was uneventful, which is my highest aspiration for these meeting-filled journeys.

Tom M

Heh,

I would guess you need to convert the mp3’s to wma’s or somesuch to get it to play.

I put up a weekend sound thingy, don’t know if you got it.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

We already do most of the recycled products so that is a good thing.  California always wants to be the leader with this type of thing.

I would be willing to bet that remodeling will not be effected because I think most do not get a permit.  Countertop replacement does not require a permit so we don’t have to worry or be involved with that end of it.

Documentation for these products is going to be important.  MSDS sheets will be mandatory to show that you are supplying qualified products to meet the law.

I will download the information and give it the once over.  At least it is voluntary for a few years.  Thanks for the information.

Sam Rayan

Posted By Tom M on 14 Nov 2008 06:07 PM

Randy!
    How was your trip?

Hi all!
    I’ve just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.

Sue Turner

Andy you are right about not having to permit a top replacement but the cities I’ve worked required a permit if you break a plumbing trap, Redondo Beach, Victorville, Long Beach LA County and such.  But of course just replacing a Kitchen Counter is a one day affair that sometimes the permit gets overlooked

Tom M

Hello, Anna Lee.
    Why don’t you introduce yourself?

Tom M

There is a new article out with an interview from Dave Walls concerning CalGreen.

From the interview:

What are some highlights of the new code?

Commissioning
    stands out as one of the key components that is not in any other part
    of our building codes. Construction waste diversion – that’s really not
    part of our other building codes either. Those are good examples. There
    are reductions in volatile organic compounds [VOCs] content in
    materials that are used in the building, also not part of our other
    building codes.

Our existing codes that deal with water
    reduction in toilets and water fixtures, but in this code we have
    combined and ratcheted them down so that the minimum mandatory
    requirement will be a 20 percent reduction in indoor potable water use
    and 50 percent in landscape irrigation. Those are just a few of the key
    elements.

This applies to new buildings and also refurbished buildings?

Our
    goal now is to focus on new buildings, so it would not apply to
    existing buildings at this time. Our next step will be to include
    existing buildings in the green code.

Does the green code apply to all residential, government and commercial buildings in California?

All
    buildings regulated by state code. Federal buildings are exempt;
    buildings built on Indian land, or reservations, are exempt. So there
    are some exceptions. But yes, ninety-nine point nine percent of the
    buildings built in the state are regulated by these codes.

………………………………………………………………

Read the whole thing, as they say.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.