Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Norm Walters

I don’t know if anyone has noticed the advertisement for shims on here. I never paid much attention because the pic for them looked just like plain old wood shims. I guess I was bored, I clicked on the link to see what they had. They also carry the composite shims, which I have switched to as soon at they came on the market. They also sell them in bulk.

If I were them, I would have a pic of the composite shims in the advertisement, just saying…………………

Norm: I tried the composite shims also, and they really work well. They snap off easily and
    cleanly.

Curt

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Lots of people click on the link. Now you can buy them direct from the manufacturer. Give them a try and post a review.

How skinny are these shims on the skinny end. I would like shims that get to about 1/64th inch.

Johnny C

Tom M

Johnny C,
    They are thin and fairly well equal – another good thing. 1/64th? mmm… don’t know about that.
    I would imagine the composite is a bit thicker, though.

Norm Walters

The composite’s are a little thicker at the small end. Without breaking out a mic, I would say cut 1/4″ off the small end of a wood shim and that’s about what it looks like.

Thanks Norm,
    The reason that I like them so thin is that I mostly use them to shim the top. I usually use a wedge of SS that I make on the table saw. Inseted between the wood strip attached to the countertop and the cabinet, in places where a bulhead or back of the cabinet isn’t quite up to level with the top of the cabinet.
    Johnny C

I actually work for Nelson Wood Shims, and this would be my first time posting in a forum (how exciting)!! In response to the question of how thick the composite shims are at the end, they are typically about 1/16th or less.

Just to add some additional info on composites, there are a few designs on the market today. One design is smooth on the bottom with holes drilled in the top. It snaps fairly easily, but doesn’t always give a clean break. We have a composite that is pre-scored on both sides that allows you to snap it every 1/8 of an inch (See photo below).

If interested, call or send me an email for a free sample

brian.peterson@shims.com or 1-800-441-7390.

Fred Atwood

Brian,

Just a suggestion…..If you could make them smooth on one side AND break cleanly, you would have the perfect product. I use the other guys, even though they do not break as clean just because I do not like the score lines catching on my cabinets and moving the cabinet instead of going under. This is really only a problem when putting shims in from the side, but it is enough of a problem that it makes a difference for us.

Norm Walters

Fred, don’t you have to “lift” the cabinet to get the shim in anyway, and once the shim is in, and you need to go a little higher just lever it with a flat bar, and slide the shim in further, no???

Norm, if you’re buying your shims at big box, quite frankly, it’s a rip off.

Nelson shims now available in Tampa Bay.

Norm Walters

Now he tells me, grrr.

In transit…

Thanks for the suggestion Freddy, we’ll keep that in mind. However, at this time we’ve found that the benefit of being able to snap the shim at every 1/8th of an inch has outweighed the benefit of having a smooth side. Using Norm’s suggestion helps get around this issue.

In the future, it may make sense to carry multiple types of composite shims, so I appreciate the suggestion.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.