Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I have been given the duty by my wife to take my 3 year old boy to an open house at a preschool. I am looking for any and all excuses to get me out of this.

Marvin Smith

Well Andy, I’m here to help. 1st of all, what is this “given the duty” stuff? Should not you both go? We had an open house for FEDSAWQUINN this year upon entering Kindergarten. We both went so we could talk to as many teachers, administraters…etc as possible. I for one would not want to miss it. Of coarse, if your wife is scheduled to take a space shuttle flight and just can’t make it, then I understand.

Shane Barker

Andy,

As much as you think it is going to suck…and it probably will, you need to just do it. My kids are all grown and gone and Ill tell you what it seems like it was just yesterday that I was dreading those darn open houses too. But when you look back years from now you will be very glad you took the time to do this now.

Some one that has been there done that.

Shane

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Probably Right. I will go. Not my favorite activity, but I get your point.

My wife had to pass on the Space Shuttle on the next launch. She had a conflict with a PTA meeting. [EMO]indifferent.gif[/EMO]

Mike Orms

Well then, if one had a choice between a PTA meeting and falling debris off of the space shuttle, I would submit that your wife is truly a…rocket scientist ![EMO]glasses.gif[/EMO]

KCWOOD

Here is the scoop Andy…. My wife is a teacher.. so here goes. If you go, chances are you will be one of few, or the only male there. The other Moms are going to be watching you, and wondering why their kids Dad did not show. They will remember you, and then when they ever see your wife with your son, they will talk among themselves. Saying things like ” There is the lady with the really neat husband that does school things with his son, She is so lucky to have someone like him… So you can get more points than you realize. But the main reason,

You really should learn the difference between 2 simple words. Get and Got.. You don’t “Got” to take him, but you “Get” to take him. The older he gets the more you will understand what I’m talking about. .

KC, I take my son to school every morning….yep, just me and 10 or so moms standing in the hallway, shooting the breeze…[EMO]cool.gif[/EMO]

I went to open house tonight. My husband stayed home and babysat the three kids (6, 3 and 18 months) I think I pulled the good job. 🙂 My husband regularly takes my daughter to school, and lots of fathers are involved in my kids school, but I have to agree with the guys. The kids grow so fast and years from now you may regret missing these kinds of things. It may not be your favorite task, but the memories will be worth the pain.

Lesley

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

UPDATE:

I went to the Open House and I sat in a hall with about 50 other parents. They didn’t show us around, they just gave us a run down of the rules and regulations. 95% of the information could have been written down on a piece of paper and sent home with the kids.

I guess we can call it a parental obligation, but by no means was it a way to bond with my child. I think BACK TO SCHOOL is the event I need to go.

Ed Defee

I thought “open house” meant you also went to your childs classroom, talked to the teachers…etc. At least ours was that way although before that, we did get the rules & regs breakdown.

I guess different schools do it different ways. Ours sends the rules home is written form and makes us sign them. At open house the teacher went over the curriculum, a few of her personal rules and let us ask questions and meet the other parents. (and the kids wrote adorable notes for us for that night. :))

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.