Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

This is a job I completed yesterday. It’s nothing extraordinary, but my approach eliminated all cutting inside the home which makes it interesting.

The customers had replaced their appliances but somehow bought a freestanding range where there was a slide-in style previously. This meant the unfinished granite edges overhung the cabinet sides by 3/8” on each side and were unfinished. The backsplash was continuous also.

I pulled the right side splash, the backsplash (which fortunately had a seam in it) and pulled the right top and cabinet. I ripped 3/8” off the right cabinet filler and after polishing the left top cut dry, installed the 3/8” filler piece on the cabinet. The cabinet and top are now flush and finished on the left side.

I leveled and reset the right cabinet at 30 ¼”, cut about an inch off the splash side of the top and polished the shop cut edge in the driveway. I cut and polished the splash ends outside too. Besides keeping all the mess outside, I was able to polish two shop cut top edges, much easier than site cut, and they are perfectly parallel.

This took four hours on the dot.

Joe

P.S.:

I’ve changed sides from the “permanent installation” group to the “reversable installation” group. I broke the splash getting it off, but it didn’t matter as I was cutting it anyway. Hey, you’re siliconing in granite splash, where are you expecting it to go anyway? Tastes and appliances change. Don’t screw the next guy.

Nice job, Joe.  Cha-ching

Johnny C

Tom M

Hey, it looks nice, she’s happy, where’s the downside?

“Don’t screw the next guy” indeed. Like the guy who screws the substrate down and laminates over it. Or worse!, the guy who independently screws down two layers of substrate and then tiles over them.

What were you thinking???

Bill Wolle

Nice job Joe.

KCWOOD

Joe, what brand of slide in stove did they have? I have never seen one that would fit in a 29-1/4 opening.

Posted By Kelsey Crisp on 23 Jun 2010 09:51 PM
    Joe, what brand of slide in stove did they have? I have never seen one that would fit in a 29-1/4 opening.

Kelsey:

Sorry, all I saw was an old white slide-in buried in the garage and didn’t get a model.

Speaking of slide-ins, on a solid surface repair the other day, I pulled the slide-in out and it was hanging by the flange! The feet never touched the floor! Don’t these guys read the manuals? I got it back on its feet before I left.

Joe

Excellent remodelling result! There is definitely an increasing demand in the market for updates in this economic climate. We are getting quite a lot of bench top replacement and kitchen upgrade jobs.

Norm Walters

Mary, I know you folks across the pond refer to a countertop as a bench top. Do you refer to cabinets as benches?

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Posted By Norm Walters on 27 Jun 2010 02:14 PM

Mary, I know you folks across the pond refer to a countertop as a bench top. Do you refer to cabinets as benches?

Norm,

We don’t call cabinets “counter” based on the fact we call the tops “Countertops”

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Joe,

I know you cut the splash on this job because it was continuous.  We have actually been asked on occasion to make the splash one piece to go behind the range because they didn’t want to see the edges of the splash behind the range.

To each his own.

Norm Walters

Posted By Andy Graves on 28 Jun 2010 07:25 PM

Posted By Norm Walters on 27 Jun 2010 02:14 PM

Norm,

We don’t call cabinets “counter” based on the fact we call the tops “Countertops”

Touche’

KCWOOD

Posted By Andy Graves on 28 Jun 2010 07:27 PM
    Joe,

I know you cut the splash on this job because it was continuous.  We have actually been asked on occasion to make the splash one piece to go behind the range because they didn’t want to see the edges of the splash behind the range.

To each his own.

Andy.. and then they get to see the wall space behind the stove under the backsplash when they do that. yuck.

Why anyone would switch from a slide-in to a freestanding is beyond me. I just cut ’em.

Joe

Norm Walters

Joe, probably the cost, if you are upgrading to stainless steel the slide in may be cost prohibitive.

Posted By Norm Walters on 30 Jun 2010 06:00 AM
    Joe, probably the cost, if you are upgrading to stainless steel the slide in may be cost prohibitive.

Norm:

Yes, but would that be the case after calculating my bill into the equation?

Joe

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.