Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    sandorpratt

Being that this page is dead in the water, and being that we have many laminate customers I thought I’d ask if any of you doing laminate countertops were using “mica no-flie” trim bits or using the old stand by which are solid carbide flush & bevel trim bits which lead to using a file of some sort.

Laminate Dave

Fred Atwood

Hey Dave,

We do a good bit of laminate and have never tried the no-file bits. I see too much of a chance of shop monkeys not getting the router set right. We do use the 7 degree bevel solid carbide bits and most fo the time, these are not set right unless I am doing the setting. When set right, filing is really just smoothing the tool marks.

Dave,

I used the no files for the first time on a large commercial job (large for me anyway) . I liked them, but I still would recomend a file swipe to smooth out the tool marks.

Reuben

Reuben, that’s the strange part I always hear about mica no-file bits…you still end up filing.

Tom M

I have to tell you, Dave, most of the Shops that would use these bits are the shops whose workers walk around with magic markers in their teeth.

Radius corners are awfully risky with these bits.

I’ll give you this though, inside radius corners, with the bits set a whisper high, can be more smoothly filed. That’s something, I guess.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.