Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I agree, medium sucks in this economy.

Does anyone actually know the definition of small, medium and large as it pertains to countertop companies?

Wags

Andy, by who’s perspective? By government standards, I doubt there is a single “large” counter top company. Personally I would think small, under 10.. Mid size 10 to 50 and large 50 and over. Then you get into production employees or total employees. If your doing install or no install etc. I don’t know too many counter top companies over 75 production employees.

Others thoughts ?

Tom M

I’d say small was between 1 and 6 – 10. Medium is up to 15 – 20 and up is large.

At least in this industry and for the economic purposes we are discussing.

Jon Olson

Small = doing ok   Med = just making it    Large = doing ok

Len Smith

It may be less about your size and more about your niche.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I quess we are small then. When we first started, I always thought I wanted to have a huge shop. Then I learned that you just end up paying for all the stuff. My salary would have stayed about the same so what’s the point.

Tom M

I did not know we were talking about TFI here. That is interesting news.

Jon, do you think it may help you in marketing your bowls? Do you know if this is where DuPont made the ITB’s?

Miles Crowe

I’d say we were a medium size shop 4-5 years ago. We were doing about 20-25 kitchens a week. But I think we were too big to get small when the recession hit. We had just bought new equipment and our fixed costs were too high to go down to a kitchen or two a day. So we did what we had to and agressively persued growth.

And through that we learned a lot about manufacturing principals, the economies of scale, market share, and stuff that never made any sense to me before.

But it is true, like someone said, it’s about finding your niche and filling it. I think it’s also referred to as your ‘Sweet spot”.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.