Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Steve Mehan

Out of all the different tops we make I would have to say the one I least like making is a bevel edge laminate. Years ago it seamed like thats all we ever made but it’s been a few years since I have had anyone ask for this style on a laminate top. Most of the ones we have been making lately folks want the square edge. I had a customer we made a bevel edge top for 6 years ago and he stoped by and asked if we could make a small island top 25″ x 28″ in the same laminate.  It’s alot of work for such a small top. At the same time we are working on a Maple butcher block and I would have a drop big enough for this island, I tried to convince him he really wanted for a piece of butcher block for his island to chop on you know. He wasnt interested .

I know there are companies that make the bevel edge but we have always made our own with a jig we made up 20 years ago and it was time to dust it off.

I start off with a piece of 3/8″ mdf I rip down and a piece of laminate.

I then spray contact adhesive of both pieces with 100% coverage.

Here is the jig, all made out of particle board with 3 different channels to hold the stick in while a router is guided along to make cuts at different angles. We use a rubber tubing called norprene which expands just enough to clamp the stick tight. To much pressure and it will burst. I know this first hand, my first jig split wide open and well lets say it was a big disapointment.

First pass cleans up and edge.

I then rip the piece on the table saw and put the larger rough piece back in the jig set at a 45 and again make a past with the router to clean the edge.

Now I have two clean edges ready to be glued up.

Some tightbond lll and clear packing tape. This is the part that is important to take your time and line up the pieces perfect so you dont get a bad seam. You cant fix a bad laminate seam.

After it is dry again it goes in the jig for it’s final rout to clean up the back edge.

The finish top.
    They look nice but I think they are probably one of the most challenging tops to make in reguards to seaming all your pieces together

Norm Walters

Steve, I’ve seen the prefabbed bevel edges at Rugby, is it that cost effective to make them yourself?  Kinda like cabinet makers, most don’t make their own doors because it is more cost effective to order them.

KCWOOD

Steve, all that labor….  looks like as much as solid surface…. don’t you have to sell laminate at $30+ a square foot to make any money?

Tom M

Steve,
    That’s a real nice jig you have set up there. We have the Align-Rite machinery and that works particularly well when we have to make our own, but home made is special.

I don’t know about the hose you use, but with our jigs, you can’t keep it past 20 psi. In our press (fire hose) we don’t go above 18 or so. You sure can hear it when the fittings let go.

Nice photo essay, Steve.  That little top was a bunch of work.  And it only looks worthwhile when it is done right.  Good job.

Johnny C

Wayne

Wilsonarts “Perma Edge System” works best for us…really easy with perfect results every time.
    We’ve gotten burned more than one using Kuehn’s bevel edges.
    For us, bevel edge tops are really gaining interest with the new laminates out there.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Looks like a lot of work, but if you are trying to match existing tops, you gotta do it.

Looks nice when its all done. Eliminating those black lines in the laminate is a real plus.

Steve Mehan

Norm, We make out own edge mostly because of time. To order it can take a week or more.

Kelsey, Personaly I believe there is more labor involved in a bevel edge laminate top , between building up a deck and glueing down the laminate, trimming it and then glueing on the bevel. Your right on your $.

Tom, 35lbs. is max

As you all commented ” looks like alot of work ” thats why I tried to convince the homeowner to use the piece of butcher block. If your doing a whole kitchen its different, but for this little top. oh well . I figured I would post pics at least we can apprieciate working with solid surface more.

Tom M

Wayne,
    We still have our original WilsonArt machines. Best disc sander and edge slotter I ever had.

Wayne

Tom M…
    Same here on the disc grinder & edge slotter (router). We find the SE edge (w/tongue) makes short order of perfect fabbing.
    Steve…
    As far as timing, our Wilsonart Dist. stocks many colors that we can get tomorrow. If they’re out of stock, usually takes about a week.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.