Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Stiles for one, Weinig, Biesse, and also Delmac. Stiles usually has something like a 50,000 sq ft booth. Over one third of the 2008 exhibitor base has pulled out. I’m guessing most will be back for the 2012 show, time will tell.
    Source was an email from W&WP and  CWB magazines.
    We did not participate in the 2008 show, and glad we did not after hearing feedback from the exhibitors that did go.

Tom M

Steve, I read that as well. Do you really think the exhibitors will be back in 2012?

Oh, and tell Susan I won’t call to gloat about Brown/Coakely.

I think Martha got what was coming to her. Half arse effort with a result to match.
    I’m guessing most exhibitors will be back in 2012 if things improve. The big companies like to offer deals to people who buy machines before the show and show them, knowing that they ship from the show to the end user, not back to inventory. 50,000 sq ft holds a lot of equipment to return to their floor.

Tom M

We kept seeing these shows get bigger and bigger. Something had to stop that incline. This was a doozy.

I wonder if the climb (if there is one) will be slow and slight after we recover.

I saw dis thread and thought there was good deal on major pull-out drawers..

jeez…

Tom M

didn’t we used to call those wedgies?

Oh, those were pull UP drawers. My bad.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Some of the major manufacturers I have talked with said the rising cost associated with the shows is the main reason they pulled out. It got out of control with the unions.

So much can be done on the internet with interactive videos and instant information, many don’t feel the need to go to an expo to see demos. On the other hand, when you are ready to purchase a show is a real convenient way to shop.

Maybe the cost will come back down, the economy will turn around and the expos will become the place to be once again.

Wags

Perhaps it’s time for some of these shows to be semi annual. Do things really change that much in 12 months? The cost is tremendous, even for a small booth. Do we really need all these shows also? Do closets need a show of their own? for that matter do counters need a show of their own? Face it the folks putting on the shows want more, it’s how they make their living, but, it’s not doing their customers, or the buyers any favors.

KCWOOD

Posted By Andy on 20 Jan 2010 07:48 PM
    Some of the major manufacturers I have talked with said the rising cost associated with the shows is the main reason they pulled out. It got out of control with the unions.

Andy, i was told by a lighting fixture designer, during set up for Lightfair in Vegas, they paid $2400 to have 6 skids moved from the dock to the space, $1000 to get carpet laid, $14000 to get power to the lighting display, and about that much to get it all taken away.

Jon Olson
    tool trade shows are hurting but design trade shows are still going good. Look at green build. It was rocking. Same with the ICFF show.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Semi Annual would be fine by me. I don’t think there is enough “NEW” stuff in our industry anymore to warrant the expense of an annual show.

I rarely go to design shows, but I live in an area where most of the manufacturers have reps that service our shop on a regular basis so we feel like we are always up to speed.

Tom M

Isn’t IWF virtually semi-annually? I mean it’s east coast/west coast, right?

KCWOOD

I just got the list for IWF… still over 700 vendors there. If you have never been,,, OMG… it is HUGE.

Festool will be there, SpecialityTools.com, Fein,  just to name a few

Jon Olson

I’ve never been to the IWF

Posted By Tom M on 21 Jan 2010 07:43 PM

Isn’t IWF virtually semi-annually? I mean it’s east coast/west coast, right?

Technically IWF is semi-annual.  Even years.  On the odd years the Aneheim/Vegas show happens.  But to my knowledge, they are not related.

And yes, IWF is HUGE….or use to be.  One year we went it was all of the Georgia World Congress Center AND the football stadium next door.  Not so much 2 years ago.  Lots of empty areas.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.