Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

looking for a old formica color 909-77(maybe) It’s the finish they called “leather”
    would love a 5×12 but i can make a 4×8 work

Tom M

Wow. The full name was Eldorado leather. I’ll try to see if I have any, but you’re talking about a material discontinued for at least fifteen or twenty years at least.

Wags

Would laminate even be usable after that length of time? I would think it would be brittle as heck.

Tom M

This time of year it would be dry as heck where I live, but you could humidify the sheet and it would likely be fine.

If it was resin starved to begin with it would likely be separated into layers by now.

Nick Henry

Tom
     we could get away with the slate finish if you had some.
    nick

Tom M

Nick,
    Big difference between the two. The slate was very matte, while the eldorado had a sheen. hang on, I’ll check right now.

Tom M

Sorry, Nick. I have neither, although I am appalled at what I do have.

Formica used to sell all its discontinued material to a company in Cincinnati, who would act as after market guys to the industry. I think they were called “Specialty Laminates” or something.

If Matt D. still roams these halls he might be able to tell us if they are still in business. If not, you might be able to reach someone at Formica who may be able to help.

I’m sorry I couldn’t help you, Nick.

Nick Henry

Tom
    Thanks for looking. I called formica and they said they could make it but it would take 4-6 weeks. I said go for it. 5 weeks goes by called Formica up they said, oh we are sorry we cannot make that finnish anymore. I said thanks for the phone call. so you know how it is, I have to tell the customer that we waited 5 weeks for nothing. I love being the owner. 🙂

Nick

Tom M

Nick!
    I was shopping at Best Buy Saturday afternoon, hours after I reported to you. I look at their service counters and Voila! 909 black eldorado leather!

I was floored!

That may be a way to get some material. Find out who makes those counters for Best Buy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.