Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

This is a limestone countertop before I refinished today.

After refinish.

Before. 

After. 

Bar top after refinish and seal.

I bought some Cleanzstone 3 for this job and tested it on the top of a 3CM backsplash but it had no effect even after I scrubbed the splash top with acetone. I tested with some MB20 and it worked, but the MB 12 on a hog’s hair pad worked best. For the real tough spots, like the third picture down, I hit it with a maroon Scotch Brite to remove the etch and then the MB12 on the hog’s hair pad to bring up the shine.

A little over half way through the job, my hog’s hair pad was dead and I didn’t have any others. I dug through my bag of tricks and found this: 

This is a rigid felt pad made by Dani Homrich of Dani Designs (http://www.daniclamp.com). It worked as well as or better than the hog’s hair. I could really lean into this thing and that combined with letting the MB12 dry out while polishing really lit it up. I refinished the bar top, about 25SF, with the Dani pad and the MB12 in half an hour. To be fair, the bar didn’t have any of those super nasty etches as pictured and it wasn’t quite as glossy, but the meter was runnin’ and customers get cranky if the bill gets too high.

Joe

Very nice!

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

You don’t have any trouble sealing after you polish with the polishing compound? Do you have to clean any polishing compound residue off the counter so the sealer will penetrate?

Looks lot better than the before. What was the total time on job?

Posted By Andy Graves on 17 Jan 2011 12:38 PM
    You don’t have any trouble sealing after you polish with the polishing compound? Do you have to clean any polishing compound residue off the counter so the sealer will penetrate?

Looks lot better than the before. What was the total time on job?

Andy:

I wiped the polishing residue off the tops with a wet sponge, dried with a paper towel and the tops sucked the sealer in with no trouble.

I got there at ten and left at three-thirty, no break.

Joe

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.