Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

We fabricated a vanity for a customer that wanted a Hi-Macs rectangle kitchen bowl instead of a oval vanity bowl.

Problem……

The drain doesn’t fit. (And we didn’t think about it prior)

Has any had this issue and what did you do to fix it.

Guy

TravisLive

Hmmm,

I take it they don’t want a basket strainer but a pop up drain? Otherwise it would not be a problem hooking up the drains.

Many an old sink I have seen had a stopper.

Template cut it out with a beveled bit, add a predrilled plug thickended enough to add a vaniety drain?

Tom M

Well, considering there wouldn’t be an overflow to worry about, you could glue in a repair to seal the bowl, then route into the base and gussets for the proper size and bevel of the tail piece.

Pain in the buttocks, though.

Tom M wrote

Well, considering there wouldn’t be an overflow to worry about,

WOW! That’s two things I missed on this job. I won’t even bring that one up to them.

Thanks for the suggestions. That was the only option that we could come up with also.

Guy

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

If they wanted a kitchen sink for a bowl, they are going to need a regular strainer basket for a drain. The only thing it won’t have is the overflow (which you don’t need) and a stopper. The stopp just won’t be integrated but you can still get a seperate one.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

What about this? Click Here

Tom M

Mountain Products makes a few styles of drain stoppers with remote pop up as well.

They have some with turn dials that work quite well.

Andyu,

That is a nice find. I’ve never seen that one before. Have you used these in the past? If so how do they hold up.

Tom M

Here’s the Mountain Products pop up.

Just got the call today. It’s not that they want the popup strainer. It’s now they don’t like the look of the big drain. Urgh!!!

Looks like I either replace, or cut and replace the bottom.

Guy

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Just Curious, why is the look of the drain your problem. The picked it. Did they not understand that the square sink would have a larger hole?

I have never used that stop before.

Norm Walters

You may want to tell them that the larger sink requires a larger hole to drain the water because there is is larger volume of water. Just don’t reduce everything to 1-1/4″.

Andy wrote

Just Curious, why is the look of the drain your problem. The picked it. Did they not understand that the square sink would have a larger hole?

I have never used that stop before.

They picked it, but I did NOT explain to them that it would have the larger drain. (I missed that detail) The look is just bothering them too much.

Replace, cut my loses, move on. That’s my plan.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Probably a smart move. Live and learn I guess.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.