Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Steve Mehan

This is a corian rain cloud job we are working on and the customer wanted a drainboard but didnt like the look of the routed grooves so we routed the entire surface.

The rain cloud color like the other vained colors has really peeked peoples interest back into SS for us.

Very nice, Steve.  Did you double thickness the entire area under the drainboard.  Or just at the edge  by the sink.

Johnny C

Really stunning Steve! I really love that type of drain board as it is more elegant and would possibly be even less maintenance, compared to the grooves that might attract a bit of build up over time. What finish did you do on the actual drainboard as I have heard that glasses can slide down back into the sink if it is too glossy. When you say routered you mean on a CNC?

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I like that better than the grooves. Classy look.

Steve Mehan

Johnny C, I used a 54″ sheet under the deck which allowed a double build up continous from under the drainboard and extended 3″ to the left of the sink which I then beveled like a seam plate. I needed the extra thickness so I could insert the sink anchors and not have them exposed when I routed the drainboard.

Mary, I did this with a router by hand. I made a large baseplate to attatch to the router and then hot melted a wedge shaped strip of material on both sides of the countertop deck that allowed me to remove from 0″ – 1/4″ as I moved the router down toward the sink and back. To make the base for the router, set up the jig to rout the slope and to rout took about an hour. I spent more time thinking about how to do it then it took. Then I sanded the surface smooth, the final finish is matte.

Thanks for the compliments. Steve

Excellent! I thought you could only do this type of drainer with a CNC. Was there a much sanding to do because of the router leftovers? That is a good way to be though Steve, the more time you spend thinking and planning something often means less mistakes, because you have imagined them all in your mind and resolved them before disaster strikes. I’ll be asking Peter to check this thread out for our clients.

Bill Wolle

Steve,
    Nice job and a really neat look!

Jon Olson

cool

As a whole that is a really nice looking top. The style of the drainboard works well with the entire top.

Posted By Steve Mehan on 20 Jul 2010 07:51 PM
    I needed the extra thickness so I could insert the sink anchors and not have them exposed when I routed the drainboard.

Steve:

That looks really good.

What type of sink anchors did you use?

Joe

Steve Mehan

Joe, The brass knurled insets that came with the sink, they are 1/2″ deep.. Also I thought if I left the material 1/2″ around the sink and routed the drainboard it would have been 1/4″ thick when it met the sink edge, I wasnt gonna like that look.

Wayne

We’ve done a few drainboards this way too, but we added grooves for better drainage.

Hey Steve very nice work, I did one of those sinks recently and becuse of the weight and size of it and the weight when full of water I put a t- piece in 18mm melamine in the center between the base of the carcass and the middle of the 2 sinks for extra support. Better to be safe than sorry.

Posted By Steve Mehan on 22 Jul 2010 03:28 PM
    Joe, The brass knurled insets that came with the sink, they are 1/2″ deep.. Also I thought if I left the material 1/2″ around the sink and routed the drainboard it would have been 1/4″ thick when it met the sink edge, I wasnt gonna like that look.

Steve:

I would like to see some scientific information as to the holding power of those inserts. I don’t think you’ve got anything to worry about, but I get the heebie-jeebies just thinking about a call-back.

Joe

Nice..love bofum…I haven’t had the chance to do any of them yet…thought I was limited to whatever Pinske has in his catalog…racetrack design, starburst…too much design to drain dishwater for those who dont use dishwasher..

thanx for sharing the designs guys, great fab work too

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.