Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

yo fabnetters post your inlays here…they are not outta style…todays customers never heard of them cause of mass production..but small shops…lets knock them outta the box

i got inspired by the old timers showing them off in magazines ..inlays are also for edges..signs. anyway here is black paperstone with an inlay of bamboo..you can do thiswith any wood if you guys dont feel like messing with resins and stuff..
    I dont have CNC so i use this ole skool way with router bits

Gene, just gotta say that the bamboo looks awesome against the Paperston! 
    Nice job!

Johnny C

Tom M

was the bamboo cut from a board like terragren, or did you buy it in strips?

Steve , NY

Gene, doing the jobs you do without a cnc testifies to your skill and confidence to try something new.  I can only imagine what you would try if you had a cnc.  Great looking job as always !

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Here is a video from Refresh Interiors

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

This is a CNC engraving video showing the outline cut to create square corners.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Here is the inlay process using liquid fill.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

This video shows how to inlay using an insert made with Staron solid surface.

David Gerard

I made some of these for a high school dive coach.  He held a dive coach work shop and he gave them to some of the attendees.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

As I said before, I don’t know how you do these without a CNC.

David Gerard

Andy, I think it helps to hold your tongue just right

Really though, for Mady and I doing inlay with dremels and routers, it just comes down to doing it alot.
    Mady is amazing with her dremel. Like coloring inside the lines for her. She is way better than me at this time.
    For Gene, I just think he was born with some serious talents, rock and roll was played to him in the womb.

Wow..Andy..I love it the videos are incredible and thank you for posting my Pot leaves countertop..it is legal in Colorado..if anyone wants to sell them people a long bar top..Ill make it you install it…David..thanks..I do love all music though..I do think I was slam dancing in the womb..

I still read the old magazines that were JUST SOLID SURFACE before they became the everything for countertops magazines..just like I had to do in my shop as well…But the old magazines are so cool…the way to really put ss back on the map again is thermoforming and inlays with the backlighting…
    I love that inlay design davd..that was awesome..
    Tom,I dont mess with terragren..ONLY PLYBOO!!! I do use kirei as well.. i have many scraps left over from making cabinetry and specialty stuff and just run it thru the saw at 1/4 or sometimes 1/8″ I use 1/8″ strips when doing edge inlay with the bamboo to wrap around curved tables…but most importantly guys..inlays can be a way to get rid of scraps..the heck with the seam..I used two pieces of dated avonite that didnt even match close…but by bridging the gap with a strip of another similar color by Avonite…it worked well fr the platform…then i ran around with my router to make a deep groove…then the local jewlery people inlaid diamonds..amesthyst stone and gold flakes…and I did their sign as well..check it out and please steal my ideas guys…thats what we are here for..
    That is ghetto milling to insert the banner, then I sprinkled some glass as a transition border
    I enlarged their business card
    see how the unmatched colors gets by with the petals seam strip
    2 karat rocks in my hand…I guess if you are a jeweler, the dust on their floors is shiny than ours
    See how the seamed colors are a design rather than saying ” THEY dont match”

Steve..yes..I would love a CNC..I do have friends that own them and sometimes I do run a template to them to cut for me in MDF…But I just have the love for making something different..I was diagnosed with some crap called Divinely discontent…that means I get bored easy…LOL so If someone wants a normal countertop..please dont call me I will probably mess it up..LOL

check out inlaying Alehouse Amber vetrazzo into paperstone

David Gerard

I see you making gold blingy teeth soon Gene! “Rasta Crunchers” HA!
    awsome stuff ya gots there!

Thanx David..The bling rims are the best…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.