Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Just wondering what other fabricators are using for inlay resins.

We are just starting to get into inlays and have used some extra glue to experiment with but it dries too fast and leaves a lot of air bubbles.

– Dennis

Mory Ludwick

Dennis,

Avonite sells resin. It is in their catalog. For the best results that is where we buy all of our resin. As far as color goes, you can custom tint with any paint and if you need to use filler you can also buy that from Avonite. We buy it 5 gallons at a time. If you have a cultured marble shop in your area, you may be able to purchase some of the products from them. Acryline also has powders that you mix with their resin. You can purchase those products from Specialty Tools. If I can help in any other way, you can e-mail me your phone number and I’ll give you a call. mory@premiercountertops.com If you haven’t done alot of inlays it takes quite a while to teach yourself how. Air bubbles are quite a pain. We also use air release and we have a vacuum pot that we use.

Mory

Shane Barker

Based on the stuff I have seen Mory post I can’t think of a better guy to do a How-To Manual on doing inlays. I have done some liquid inlays in the past and Mory is right in that it takes a long time to teach yourself, I’m still learning. I think it would be invaluable to have Mory’s secrets to success in a written form. What do say Mory, do you feel up to the task? If you don’t I know I will be calling you next time I have a project that requires inlays. I loved what you did with the pressure cooker and the cheap vacuum from Harbor Freight Tools.

Shane

Paul Bingham

Oh, you gotta tell about the pressure cooker and the cheap vacuam. Don’t leave us hanging here.

Mory,

Have you ever used an epoxy? I have been talking with a friend of mine that works for a chemical distribution company about it. He says is should work real well, but it takes a few hours to cure out to sand properly. Claims it should leave no air bubbles even with out pulling a vacuum. Comes clear and there is a kit to tint with, which you can make almost any color with. I was going to give it a try soon, when I get some time.

John

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.