Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Chris vt

There was talk a long time back by someone about a way to hold spoilboards in position on an AXYZ machine with adjustable drawer front cabinet hardware.This was possibly a few years ago on another forum.I would be very interested to hear form anyone who might recall this and parts info if possible.Thanks for any help.

Tom M
    Chris, that’s an interesting idea. I’d like to see it too.
    We recess screws into a 3/4″ MDF board for our AXYZ. Route the board smooth with a planing bit on the powerhead until it is no longer viable.

Tom

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Me Too. I would like to hear about that. We use three pieces of 4×8 mdf and then recess 6 screws per piece to keep in nice and tight. Then we machine the top flat. Usually last about 8 months or so before we have to change it.

What forum was it on. I have read all the solid surface sites for the past three years and I don’t recall that thread. Could it have been on the woodweb site?

Chris vt

That’s quite possible Andy,I just don’t remember.We fasten our borders the same as you guys but over time(6 yrs now) it has shredded the vacuum grid where ever there is a screw because they seem to strip out and we have to cheat them this way or that way a little now and then.I have considered a few different methods to do this but I really like the flexibility of the drawer front hardware as it allows for some play when mounting the new boards.

Tom M
    Chris,
    there’s a great fill material called Tuff-Carv. It’s like bondo for wood, and it holds screws really well. If you need to, fill in and sand/re-route to taste.

Tom

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Chrisg wrote
    That’s quite possible Andy,I just don’t remember.We fasten our borders the same as you guys but over time(6 yrs now) it has shredded the vacuum grid where ever there is a screw because they seem to strip out and we have to cheat them this way or that way a little now and then.I have considered a few different methods to do this but I really like the flexibility of the drawer front hardware as it allows for some play when mounting the new boards.

I see what you are saying. Have you tried drilling and tapping the vacuum grid. That is what we did and it never gets stripped. Just drill a little bit bigger hole in the mdf spoilboard for adjustment and it will screw down nice with machine screws.

Chris vt

I like that idea too.Thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.