Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I was talking with Bob at Global Pneumatics yesterday about advertising with the Fabricator Network. I went to his website and he sells mainly pneumatic tools for the stone industry. While looking around the site, I saw an in-line air tool oiler. Looks pretty cool. We have a hell of a time getting our guys to oil the air sanders on a regular basis. Do any of you use one or do you just oil the air tools by hand?

Brian Seidle

Andy, as it relates to Global Pneumatics: They publish one of the most blunt flyers you’ll ever see. I receive it in the mail. Actually called them several issues ago and don’t know if it was Bob I talked to but I told them it was the most right on and entertaining thing I’ve ever read on the stone industry . This months article on Global doing or not doing the trade show circuit is a classic. Perhaps they can post it here. Welcome aboard Global.

Dave

KCWOOD

Dave, I got “The Wet Rag” in the mail and I have to say, that was the funniest darn thing I have read in a very long time. I told Andy we have to get this guy on the BB, he is so entertaining!! Yes, I hope they do post that article on this site! I can relate to that in a way. I bid a construction job, where a new convention center was being built. I found outI could not take anything I built to the install site. It had to be off loaded by one union, but they could not go past the dock. Another union took it to a staging area. Another Union took it to the install site, but because it its final use, another union had to surpervise. In all about $12,000 fee just to unload my project.

Andy, I have been using airtools all my life. Many attached to equipment that activated a cycle, to perform a task. To those I ran an oiler, and about once a month I would run a cleaner through the tool. I had one Desoutter air feeder on a drill press that had over 1 million cycles and never once failed. With hand tools, my experience if you attach an oiler. there is such a volume of air, with a stop and start all the time, the tool gets way over oiled, which leads to oily residue out the exhaust. I put one drop in a tool daily and have never had any problem. The autobody shop next to me does the same. He REQUIRES at the end of every work day all air tools are placed back in their location and a drop of oil is placed in each tool.

Blessington

KC, yep, that’s it: The Wet Rag! A GREAT read. I think for the Orlando show, I’ll bring my booth enclosed in a backpack.

The in-line oiler Global has goes on their water fed stone polishers or I guess, any air tool. We sell one for anyone with air tools as most shops, believe it or not, have no regard for oiling their tools unless someone in charge holds their feet to the fire. I guess that’s why we do so much tool repair. Same problem: Open the tool up…dry as a bone and caked with burnt SS dust. Coilhose Pneumatics has a “Filter Plug” that connects right in to your tool. It has a bronze filter elemnt that removes debri down to 40 Micron but is not an oiler. I’ll send you one KC. Let me know if it works for you.

KCWOOD

Dave, I use a Schrader Bellows, filter,reg and/or oiler on all my tools. I really don’t need anything else. If you told me 20 yrs ago you did tool repair, you still would be waiting for me to send you the first tool. I have never had a failure. I have replaced due to a better design coming out, as lighter, better grip, but never a failure.

I use 1-2 drops before daily use in fitting “Blaster” 404 Air-tool conditioner, made by William K Westley Company. Then at least once a month, depending on use, I will squirt quite a lot of NFO Air Tool Cleaner ATC-855 into the tool fitting. I will then place a rag over the exhaust and run the tool till all the excess has passed. I have never had a nailgun failure either. I have never understood the lack of maintainance in a shop and why some people think an air tool never needs lubrication. But that is a good thing for you!

KC, not always a “good thing”. I am way passed attempting to change the human nature thing as it relates to people taking care of their tools. They will do what they want to do. I don’t solicit tool repair so keep this post quiet. 🙂 We fix them for existing customers as a service as long as the tool was purchased from us. Inevitably, some guy walks in after seeing the word “tool” on our sign. It’s always the same conversation. “Do you fix Porter-Cable?. Where did you buy the tool? The box center. Then, we don’t fix them. But you have a Porter-Cable sign in the window. Yes, yes we do. So why don’t you fix them? You did’nt buy it from us. Try the box store. They don’t repair them. No sh**. You wanna know why? Why. Cause power tool repair is not profitable. You saved 10 bucks on a $200.00 tool vs what I would sell it for and you saved nothing. As a matter of fact, if you UPS it to a service center, it will cost you at least 10 bucks both ways. Again, you saved nothing”.

And out the door they go…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.