Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

We are on the verge of ordering our first CNC and I want to be sure that I don’t overlook something that I will regret later. So, for those of you who are already using CNC what would you have specified differently now that you’ve been using the technology for a while and with the 20/20 benefit of hindsight?

Any comment, no matter how trivial seeming, would be welcome.

Thanks,

Patrick

Tom M
    Patrick,
    I will think about it and respond when I have more time to do so, but I will say this first and foremost:
    Static is your arch-nemesis. Your Lex Luthor, Doc Oc and Riddler rolled into one. Static can build up and discharge in a spot that can kill rather expensive components. Watch out and make sure things are well-grounded. This includes, not surprisingly, the dust evac hose. We ran a separate ground line along the hose after an unknown static occurance knocked out one of our cicuit borads. I can’t say that this was the problem area, but we haven’t (knock on simulated woodgrain laminate) had a problem since.

Another thing that you may not be able to do anything with at this point: we have our toolpathing and sending station at an office computer, rather than at the machine. Where the computer stuff happens can make a huge difference in how your operation works. Think about who will be doing this and when, where, etc. Location, location, location.

Tom

Jon Olson

Hello Patrick. We just went thru the experience your about to under take. We have a lot of points to share to many to type. If you want give me a call. 1-880-422-3322 ex 237 . I,l have you talk to our CNC manager . He has all kinds of goodies to share. Having said that I’ll try to get Eric to post a few of the points here.

Shane Barker

Patrick,

Tell us what machine you are getting and what you plan to do with it, now and in the future. I will share with you what I went through when I got mine and what I had included with the machine to work best for our operation, and what you should consider based on yours.

Shane

Like stated above, location from the computer workstation is critical, you can waste alot of time just walking back and forth, so if possible try to keep that distance as short as possible. The only things I wish I had on my CNC is a bigger table and separate vacuum zones. We can cut two sheets at a time, but almost every job we do requires three sheets. This adds more programs to the entire job as well as time to load and unload pcs. Depending on which machine you are going to order you might be limited on table size. Get as large a vacuum pump as you can, it will make a difference.

John

Shane Barker

That would be a mighty big table to cut more than two sheets. How would you do it, a twin 5×12 or a single 5×24. Now that machine would take up some floor space.

Shane

One of the most important things to look for is the nearest door to run out of when all of the CNC programming information learning, FUD from the employees, and misc quirky CNC breakdowns invade your head all at once. Stick with it and you will be rewarded.

BTW, the CNC that makes many of our tools fried a bearing last week. I hope to get it back online tomorrow. 7k to get the spindle cartridge rebuilt, prob another 2k for site work. Add to that the pressure of having a machine down that is always run flat out and an open door starts looking good.

There are many companies that offer an 8′ by 12′ table. It is just an upgrade though. Have seen a couple in my area in use and it saves quite a bit of time.

A word of advice when getting the CNC, get in with a distributor real good and try to get him to give you all his broken sheets, or discontinued and old sheets. You will scrap a good amount of material setting it up as well as learning or playing.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

DO NOT PAY IN FULL UNTIL THE CNC RUNS AND CUTS PLENTY OF JOBS.

Final payment is great leverage to get your machine running smooth. Just because the cnc is sitting in your shop doesn’t mean crap. Make sure it operates like you expected and they way they promised.

If I was to tell you what to buy I would give you this list:

1. Large Vacuum Pump – 40hp. The more Suck the better.

2. Tool changer the rides with the carraige.

3. Dust collector designed specifically for CNC production. – High Vacuum is recommended.

4. Dust collection design guy that can make that dust collector work properly. Nothing worse than having a cnc with no good way to get rid of the dust.

5. Enough tool holders for you Automatic Tool Changer. They are expensive and you want to make sure you have some up front. I have heard many cnc companies will supply these for you if you ask.

6. Air Dryer – They seem to forget this, but it is critical that your air is dry because the spindles have ceramic bearings and when exposed to water they fail.

7. Good Electrician – Get all the electrical specification up front so that you can get your building preped for the cnc. My cnc company was vague and left me scratching my head. Also you will need an electrician for the hook up, preferable the same day they bring the machine in.

8. Air hose to blow off the cnc after cutting a counter. Solid surface dust is extremely harmful to a cnc. It is important that you keep the dust off all the parts and tooling. Air hose also works great to blow off table because you want the material to sit perfectly flat.

9. Find out about the best way to make a spoilboard. The phelonic table is not what you want to cut on. Some CNC companies will have a file for you to make a spoilboard and some don’t. But you can’t start cutting solid surface without one.

10. Maintenance schedule. Have the CNC company go over EXACTLY how to take care of your machine. Cause when something goes wrong you don’t want them to say your warranty is no good cause you didn’t lube the machine right.

If I think of something else I will be sure to post. Also ask as many questions as you like, we are glad to help.

Jon Olson

Andys points are very good

John Mauck

We also are looking at CNC routers. Does anyone have a AXYZ CNC and if so how do you like it?

Mory Ludwick

We Love it

Mory

Be very specific as far as what you are going to be doing with the machine. Are you just going to be cutting parts, are you going to use it to profile, are you planning on cutting other materials in the future, capacity of the machine, etc. That will help determine what machine to purchase and what upgrades you might want.

John

Len Smith

The AXYZ is a great cnc for many solid surface shops. The machine, training, and service are all first-rate.

We bought an AXYZ in ’98 and never missed a beat with it. A few years later we bought another manufacturer’s CNC, and it’s been nothing but trouble and frustration since the day we got it. The manufacturer doesn’t really seem to care about your down time once they’ve sold you the machine.

We’re looking toward getting another CNC, and this time it will be another AXYZ.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.