Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

There was no repair material easily available, and even if there was, what about all that veining in this Corian Verona Gray? It’s cracked through the front edge.

I put a dab of Gray methelmethacrylate and a dab of white light cure adhesive on the deck and squirted a puddle of CA next to them and mixed. I pushed the mix into the crack (after a peroxide and acetone rinse). I ran my sander around the perimeter to vibrate the glue in. The crack was visible after I sprayed the CA activator, but when I sanded it off the crack disappeared.

Joe

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Looks great, do you think it will last?

Posted By Andy Graves on 03 Dec 2011 02:14 PM

Andy:

Yes, for two reasons. First, I didn’t pull the crack back together, so whatever stress that caused it is relieved because the crack is still there, it’s just filled. Second, this homeowner will probably never use too large a pan on his stove again. No warranty on repairs anyway.

Thanks,

Joe

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Superglue has proven to be really strong on things we have put together years ago. Should work, just curious.

Karl Crooks

Posted By Kowboy on 03 Dec 2011 02:19 PM

Andy:

Yes, for two reasons. First, I didn’t pull the crack back together, so whatever stress that caused it is relieved because the crack is still there, it’s just filled. Second, this homeowner will probably never use too large a pan on his stove again. No warranty on repairs anyway.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe did you reinforce the underside ??

Hooda thunk?  I am surprised that peroxide does such a good job removing the old dirt and grease from the crack to allow the adhesive to bond.

Looks good, Joe.

Johnny C

Posted By Karl Crooks on 05 Dec 2011 09:25 AM

Andy:

Thanks,

Joe

Karl:

Reinforcing the underside would have been impossible without removing the strip underlayment behind the front edge. The crack was too short to extend past the underlayment. Removing the underlayment for reinforcement would have pushed the budget too far.

Joe

Karl Crooks

Posted By Kowboy on 05 Dec 2011 11:57 PM

Posted By Karl Crooks on 05 Dec 2011 09:25 AM

Andy:

Thanks,

Joe

Karl:

Reinforcing the underside would have been impossible without removing the strip underlayment behind the front edge. The crack was too short to extend past the underlayment. Removing the underlayment for reinforcement would have pushed the budget too far.

Joe

Yea, sometime you can spend almost the same amount of time cutting away at things to access the underside and reinforce a repair as you do on the repair itself.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.