Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Ken Morris

So,a walk-in shows up on Wed. morning. Home owner. Joe Schmos granite shop sent him in to buy a flush cut diamond blade. Why, I ask. The stove does not fit. To tight. So why didn’t Joe Schmo granite cut it down for you? They didn’t have time and we’re having a party this weekend. You have a grinder I ask him. Yes, he says. Is it variable speed? I don’t know he says. What brand is it? Ryobi he says. Arrrrgghhhhh I look up the model #. No variable speed. I explain to him about the need for variable speed because if it’s to fast, it will glaze the diamond. I’ll make it work he says. I ask him what he paid for the top. $27.00 a sq. ft. They look great he says. I ask him if they sealed the tops. He says, I don’t know. Hmmmmm. I ask him about the party. Wine tasting he says!!

Welcome to my world…he’ll be back.

You get what you pay for!

Tom M
    Excellent post, Dave. Let us know how it turns out.
    Wait, never mind. We know how this will turn out.

Tom

Patsy

At 1 point, I was going to put a sign on the door that read: Wholesale Only to keep the Lowe-Depot crowd out.

Now, and it goes up in the morning: No homeowners!

Dave, I feel your pain. I get all kinds of people
    with stupid ideas that they can cut on there top or even install it
    themselves if I will lower my price. Well I guess for 27 sq’ you better
    be prepared to do some fixin your self.

I see alot of that sort of thing where fabricators go in and
    do a poor job and when I ask the customer what they paid they go
    on to explain that the price was so much cheaper than anyone else. I
    just have to laugh.

I guess its true. You get what you pay for.

Joe Corlett

All:

I thought the $34.99 p.s.f. around metro Detroit was nuts. $27.00?

Maybe electricity is free in Florida, trucks run on seawater and insurance is paid by the state. There must be something I don’t know about.

Joe

Bob Plet

Ahhh Joe, there is a sign on a heavily traveled road down the street fron the FedSaw mothership that states:

$25.00 per sq. ft. INSTALLED !

I know him, Chinese guy who brings in boatloads of containers from China. It’s gettin crazy in the world of tops.

Got to love it, Dave there is some real junk out there as well as companies that do not have a clue about service.

We are working in a high rise condo right now, just doing the baths in the top floors and a few upgraded units. All the units are getting granite kitchen counters, 2 CM not laminated either. Have seen a few that have already broken. The units start at $1 million and go from there, you think they would have gotten something better.

Jon, I personally don’t think they would want anything better. Afterall, the company building it can pocket more cash by just using the word granite without regards to 2cm, 3cm, Imported from a slave mine in China…etc Uneducated consumers once again.

Wags

Sadly most consumers feel “Granite is Granite’. I always use the car comparison, so a yugo is a Rolls. I then point out, anyone can dig anything out of the ground, they can call it anything they want, and there is no warranty. Better know your fabricator if you don’t know stone. They get what they pay for. You will not get $80 a foot granite for $30, you get $30 a foot granite for $30. This will all come back to haunt the stone industry.

Wags, it’s already coming back to haunt them. I see it on a daily basis. The top notch granite guys are literally competeing with guys fabricating stone in their garages. We had a substantial stone tool order last week from a new customer. He asked if we could deliver. It was local so we said sure and did a mapquest to “the shop”. My delivery guy calls me and says i’m in front of a house and is this the right address? I call the customer and I can here an automatic garage door going up. Then I here my delivery guy talking to the customer, in front of his house. Unbelievable. I guess we deliver anywhere but fabricating stone in your 150 sq ft garage?

Joe Corlett

FEDSAWDAVE wrote

Unbelievable. I guess we deliver anywhere but fabricating stone in your 150 sq ft garage?

Dave:

I can’t remember his name, but he was the President of ISSFA before Richard Christ who was president before the pretty one.

He started ou in his garage.

Joe

Tom M

No sin in starting out in your garage. It all comes down to how well you do your work.

And FEDSAW was started in my garage with my dining room table as the office. Point being, if my next door neighbor was cutting stone all day long, I would not be a happy camper. We’re not talking about a guy whos neighbor is 1 acre away.

Wags

Unless someone has a business license, sale tax resale form we don’t sell them. We need to protect our “legit” shops. I have no problem with someone starting out in his garage as long as he has the same insurance etc and is “legit”. Otherwise im hurting the good shops by supporting the “fly by nights”.. Just my opinion.

Chris Yaughn

Dave,

If you google my address don’t fret when you see the house. I can’t get anything larger than a pickup into my shop. Makes hand loading these sheets of SS into my truck lots of fun.

Chris

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.