Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Juan Bernal

How can i minimize the dust in the shop when cutting quartz? Do I need to buy a specific tool?

Posted By Juan on 12 Aug 2009 06:51 AM
    How can i minimize the dust in the shop when cutting quartz? Do I need to buy a specific tool?

Juan:

Quartz manufacturers recommend wet fabrication, as specified in the Zodiaq Material Safety Data Sheet. 

“Effective engineering controls include operating in a wet environment and the use of ventilation and filtration systems.”

Joe

Brian Stone

You really need to look into wet cutting. That’s the only way to effectively contain the dust particles. If you’re cutting dry then you need to look into getting a quality dust mask / respirator.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Use water, but purchase tooling that will accept the water attachments. Also when switching to water cutting, make sure you have breakers on the plugs, you don’t want any electrocutions.

Jon Olson
    If your going to use a respirators than you need to be trained to use  respirators. OSHA loves to fine those that haven’t done this. With good reason respirators not used properly can lead to death.
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

What if your just using a dust mask? Is that ok?

Jon Olson
    Yes that’s okay. But you should have at least one meeting with your employees to go over the instructions. Than have each employee sign a paper that they understand the proper use of the mask

Posted By Andy on 12 Aug 2009 12:35 PM
    What if your just using a dust mask? Is that ok?

Andy:

There is a difference between a nusiance dust mask and a disposable respirator. If you’re cutting quartz or stone, a nusiance mask is barely better than nothing. If you’re occasionally cutting dry, you need a respirator, not a nusiance mask; hearing protection, eye protection, a face shield, a guarded tool and a powerful fan blowing dust away from the operator and out the open door.

Jon:

I must respectfully disagree with your having employees sign as to being informed of dangers. I’ll match my terminal silicosis-stricken father against your signed paper for the sympathy of a jury any day. If fact a plantiff’s lawyer will use it against you. It shows you knew the dusty work was dangerous beforehand, yet you exposed employees anyway.

Joe

Jon Olson
    Hey Joe good point. My comment relates to SS dust. ES dust is a total different animal a simple dust make will not do.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.