Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Paul Yonally

Has anyone had experience cutting a drink trough into PaperStone or Richlite with a CNC?  I have recommended using a Onsrud phenolic bit # 52-362 at 18,000 RPM and a reed rate of 270-360 inches per minuet, but this does not work I find out when cutting only 2/3 throught the material.  This bit will cut 1 1/4 inch PaperStone and or Richlite wiht a clean, no burnt edge in one pass, but it does not do well cutting a drink trough.  If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.We are using 1 1/4 inch PaperStone and cuttina a 3/4 inch trough.  Thank you Paul

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I have cut some Paperstone and Richlite and I would offset the bit a little from the final cut and make my final pass with a brand new bit.

Is the bottom of the trough rough?

Paul Yonally

Andy thanks for the suggestion.  I went into the shop that was having the problem first thing this morning and the problem was solved.  I was told this morning that they were not using the Onsrud tool # 52-362 at the recommended RPM and feed rate.  Last night when they tried again at 18,000 RPM and a feed rate between 270 and 360 inch per minute the bit cut great and the tops were done when I got there this morning.  I have to say the tops looked great and the drink troughs were done very well.  I did get another suggestion from the guys at FabChoice.  Their suggestion if the above does not work well to try Onsrud tool # 67-211 at 10,000 RPM and 170- 200 ipm.  If you used this bit you might have to clean up the pass a few tousandths with a 3/4 inch drain board bit.  I guess I should add if you are attempting to cut PaperStone or Richlite with the same bit you are using on solid surface it just will not last long or work as well as the above.  Also the rpm and feed rate really made a big difference in how the bit cut and tool life.  The bit did not last any time at all at a slower rpm and feed rate.
    Thanks  and I hope this helps someone.  If anyone does have question email and I will try to help out.  Paul

Paul:

I would hold off installing that job until you’re sure the Paperstone isn’t going to cup or warp after having been machined.

I’ve seen machined MDF adhered to a solid surface bar top bend both.

Joe

Paul Yonally

Well as most things go there is no time for wanting.  It was install last night while the bar was closed.  I think the tops will be OK as there have been a number of installs done in Richlite that were done in very much the same way that there were no problems with.  There are two national chains that are now using green countertop products in their remodels that come up.  This top was the first for this company, but other national chain has had tops install for over two years now without any problems.  This top was the first one that was done with a CNC at this fabrication shop.  thanks Paul

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.