Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Tom M

Here is an interesting article on green, and includes some reservations on LEED points figured for different locations.

Very good article that echoes many of my concerns about the process.

Tom M

A companion article, focusing on residential green here.

Great articles Tom, Ya know i think itz ironic, i shifted my business into Greenbuild Interior design..not that bigtime yet just offering the Recycled Solid Surfaces and got those Expensive Shekastone samples..About 79bux a square foot they will sell it to me for!!!!!!whattadeal? huh? I guess if someone wants to be green they pay some green..I also am a member the US green Building council which initiate LEED because i preety much can’t get away from the commercial work, Now we have the Florida Green building Coalition attempting to do a similar type of Leed but it will be standards..kinda like your article refers to. back to the irony thing I’m from that New jersey exit 13 Elizabeth, the only exit sign they show on the beginning of the Sopranos, i researched as to why Elizabeth is shown on the Sopranos along with Elizabeths beautiful skyline, they also show..the Exxon refinery and all the other chemical dumpsites of toxic waste, i grew up exactly 1mile from those torch stacks for 25 years, And now I’m turning into “GREEN” Gene..it’s crazy. i been trying to also explain to environmentalists, that GREEN is not just a noun, it is reusing materials also..If they have a mansion and it’s only two people living there and thousands of products are labeled “GREEN”,there kinda defeating the purpose.Regular Solid Surface is renewable and reusable, and our glue has low vocs(After it drys though)I’m waiting on my paperstone samples from this show i was at last weekend GREEN TRENDS 2007, I’m still not certified as an official green certifier yet, but I just offer designs and what i can build and then it’s up to them to get the GREEN CERTIFIER, GREEN BUILD DESIGN is another animal, has nutin to do with da product, But im the Toxic avenger going green!

Tom M

When you grow up around the chem plants, I suppose there are several ways to go “green”.

This is so about money.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Until this LEED program gets all the problems worked out, it just doesn’t seem like a legitimate thing yet. There are too many ways around it. And relying on the manufacturer to certify the product’s recycled content is obsurd.

Yeah Andy it is absurd , most true Greenies will ask that, but i have afeeling people are gonna jump on this just because everyone else is…There are those who will be selling green items cause someone else said it is…That why using products cthat have been certified by SCS or a Legimate GREEN Certifier can also shift the responsibility, I told these two customers last week, that I’ll fabricate and deliver this Avonite Kaliedescope top to you but I’m gonna deliver it in my petroleum truck, sorry, they were cool they understood that a little change is what evrybody should do FANATIC extremes might cause problems…Most GREEN products are also BS…All my scrap Solid surface glued up into a top is considered Green, its not the content it’s the lack of using virgin materials…I knew my pack rat treasures would come in handy someday, Thanx to green my shop will have more room

Tom M

Gene, are there points to be gotten by making that reuse rather than recycle claim? Where do you go to claim these. It will be useful, for sure.

Andy, This when you know that a government program isn’t worth it. You can’t trust the manufacturer on his recycled volume, but it would mean handing over power to yet another friggin’ government or quasi-government agency, that will raise the cost unacceptably, to enforce it.

Not sure if someone can pull that off yet, because i would have no way to prove i didn’t buy the scrap pieces from far away. It would more less be a concept for the HUMBLE GREENIE, meaning they would not need a a stamp of approval…they would know i reused scraps…pictures before and after would tell, i can also tell them it would be a one of a kind top. The green certifier though is someone who comes into the house or looks at the prints of the Kitchen and then decides if it touches all phases of greenbuild (energy efficient,Air quality,renewable or recycled product).. and that might just get you 8 points for a full Green kitchen and that’s using Energy star appliances…If you get 100 points and your house gets approved and certified as a green home , you then get your tax breaks and all kinds of other incentives. let alone do the right thing and not consuming more than you need. I’m still in the process of working with these new people and i’ll keep ya posted…The Florida Green Building Coalition (FGBC) has made St. petersburg,fl the first “GREEN” CITY and PINELLAS COUNTY the first county, becasue our city use hybrid vehicles and starting green affordable homes for charities.. i sure came along way from be raised in the Toxic town of Elizabeth, New jesey, Whajudinkaboutthat?

Tom M

You sound like you’ve done some kickass research. Please keep us posted on this. Taxbreaks? Who knew? (Okay, Gene knew, but still…)

Gordon Doull

Seems like the taxbreaks and goverment incentives are what make this program so attractive to corruption. I agree with Andy, any self-monitoring in this arena is a ridiculous notion. If it government-promoted, it should be government-regulated.

Do you think I can get LEED points on my bio-diesel powered private jet?

well guys it’s the same thing like wanting 100% acrylic solid surface instead of blended…Now I don’t know last nights dinner was thrown into the pour and other binders that aren’t acrylic….but if some client specifically wants 100% acrylic….such and such says it is! jugotdat?…some people will take your word for it, because the Green industry is here and coming…yes it might be a phase…but we can make fun about it or make money from it ,the choice is ours. Also friends beware that the GREEN industry are competitive,so saying products are green can be exagerrated or misunderstood….that’s why I like the concept of third party certification in every product I play with. Now a green certifier is not employed by the government..its kinda like an inspector on a jobsite,,,people say there a CERTIFIED green Kitchen designer and builder and they are, they draw up the plans, they list the materials used, He or she is gonna want to know what AVonite Kaliedascope is , we tell him it’s SCS certified and he approves and wam we get the cash…understand…if you want breaks and deals you have to get the whole house certified…GREEN is not necessarily a NOUN…Pump out that Avonite recycled series…it’s green as cash………

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.