Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Steve Poland

Wasn’t sure where to ask this but at this time we outsource our granite’ they do a fine job but there is to much down time scheduling the template and install their time without a sink’ and sorry but their truck at the install with their advertising instead of ours. So my question is would it be unreasonable for us to template and install I don’t see why we couldn’t would love to hear your pros, cons & tips on this subject
    thanks Steve, 

Steve,

If you can handle the template and install then go for it. When we first got into stone that is exactly how we did it. We would do a digital template which the guys we were using absolutely loved. (They were all automated i.e. CNC & waterjets) They would fabricate it and then we would pick it up and deliver and install. Your present fabricator may or may not want to do just fab only but you won’t know until you ask them. If they don’t I sure there is one out there that will.

When you currently sell the job your customer is buying from you, you are controling the sale at this point. You and your company are the reason that they are buying a granite countertop. When someone buys something from the big box store, the fabricator who does the work shows up in thier company truck with the thier logo not the big box at least around here.

If youv’e never installed granite make sure you get some experience before you undertake your first install.

Mark Meriaux

Definitely not unreasonable Steve! I don’t know where you’re located or your template method, but we fab & ship nationwide. We cut from various levels of customer-supplied information. Some send us complete electronic DXF files, others send us traditional templates, which we then digitize, add cutouts and create a final shop drawing prior to fabbing. If you’ve got another local fabricator that works well with you, then keep on building that relationship. It should be a winning proposition for all involved.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I say go for it. Make sure you understand how to handle the material. It is much more difficult than solid surface.

Also consider the extra man power you will need to install some of the larger tops.

Steve Poland

Thanks guys I think moving forward slowly’ we will do this as stated by all we need some install experience because it definitely ain’t solid surface ( it don’t bend or flex but it do break ) anybody seen a good installation training dvd ? any do’s or don’t s from the school of hard knocks graduates would be appreciated. Andy last I read after long consideration you chose not to fab granite is that still the case if so do you temp and install
    Hey on another note has anyone seen the 1/4″ composite stuff like granite transformations I walked into a supplier’s showroom today and there it was so fresh off the truck she had not sold any yet and did not know the pricing yet I’m curious I know GT gets a good price for it. she’s gonna let me know I will post what I find out if anyone is interested

Chris Yaughn

Do’s:   Buy  a set of sink savers from Omni Cube
                Buy a set of gorilla grips from monument
                Buy a set of carry clamps

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I have a company that does all the templates, fabrication and installations.

It works a bit different because we set the price and standard. It was not as if we went to an unknown company to do our granite. We helped them get set up an supply them with much of their work.

The advantage for our company is that the granite and quartz side of business is that we only pay when we sell a job. There is guaranteed profit for each job sold. We do bear the brunt of selling and managing a showroom, but we have that whether we sell stone or not.

I am a firm believer in sales side makes the money. If you can find qualified companies to perform the fab and install, you can make much more by selling and marketing. The more you sell the more you make. That is not always the case with the fabrication and installation side.

Norm Walters

Gee Andy, all this time I thought we did this because we liked working with our hands and considered ourselves craftsmen.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Posted By Norm Walters on 31 Jul 2012 08:10 AM

Gee Andy, all this time I thought we did this because we liked working with our hands and considered ourselves craftsmen.

That is great and I indeed depend on quality to stay in business but you know we talked about not doing the actual labor end of the business anymore.

We are getting too old for that?

Norm Walters

If I didnt’ do physical labor I would be 300 lbs. And I refuse to eat Tofu, lol

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.