Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Adam Aiken

I was wondering if anyone has a basic tool list for the minimum required tools to do a granite countertop install. I am not a granite fabricator but have the opportunity to template and have countertops built to fit specific kitchens, then I install them. I would like to use the opportunity to get my foot in the door for stone projects, but need to know where to start for tooling. Also if anyone has any installation instructions/guidlines in a .pdf format that I could review I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Adam

daisywxm

ak, while I don’t have any instruction manuals. I can suggest basic tools for the install of stone. 1st and foremost is a heavy duty cart (like a drywall cart) and make sure it has no-mar wheels. In other words, you roll a top in and they have travertine floors…you don’t want rubber wheels scuffing it. A good variable speed grinder with 5/8-11 thread is a must. With that grinder you can put on core drills for drilling out the faucet holes, a hookit pad to accept diamond resin dry polishing pads if the need to polish arises, cup wheels or grinding stones, diamond blades etc…most are set up with 5/8-11 so the grinder is an asset.

While I don’t know what your installs will entail, that is at least a start.

Adam, I recently started installing granite and was fortunate enough to have the granite company come and teach me on the first few installs we did. Honestly I still request them to come on very tricky stuff where I know some field fabrication will have to be done( ie. full height backsplash with multiple cutouts and oh yes outside corners or ends of granite butting into a cabinet sitting at a 45 degree angle.

Honestly I would not suggest buying a bunch of tools until you install a few with a good installer.

A website to checkout if you must move forward is http://www.stoneadvice.com

Like Travis said, you don’t need a bunch of tools…just the basics.

Adam Aiken

Thanks for the info and advice. I will check out the stone advice site and see what I can learn. I deffinetly don’t want to jump into this blind. Nor do I want to invest a bunch of money in extra tools right off the bat.

Thanks again

AK, just to follow up on this. Obviously you have another company doing
    your fabrication. Most companys will let you go with there installers
    to install and learn. I will list basic tools specific to granite and
    quartz. You will still need other basic carpentry tools other than
    these.

1. variable speed grinder

2. 5″ diomond blade

3. 6″ diomond blade

4. 80grit stone

5. wet polishing pads(not dry) 100,200,400,800,1500,3000 and maybe a buffing pad. I skipped the buffing pads.

6. wax, light and dark

7. steel wool

8. adhesive with hardener

9. color

10.razor blades

11. putty knife and mixing sticks(like big popcicle sticks)

12. 1-3/8 core bit (for faucets)

13. shims

14. cup wheel.

I know I probably forgot a few things but this should get you close.
    The biggest part of an istall is take your time and make sure the
    joints are perfect before you glue it. Whatever you budget for time on
    an install just double it for the first few untill you get comfortable
    with working with stone.

The bettter your fabricator the faster you will go.

Travis, a very good list indeed. You may need to back the silicon carbide grinding wheel down to 60 or even 36g depending on the need. Good to carry an extra with you anyway.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.