Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mory Ludwick

For a long time we have been using the 3-M poly-gun. We have recently have replaced them all with a different type of glue gun. Also, we have been using a new glue that is being supplied to us by no one other than Dave. I just want to clarify something. I am not here trying to promote any of Dave’s products from Federal Saw, but I can tell you one thing for sure that he has saved me alot of searching and has saved us from alot of headaches. He has also saved us a great deal of money. When things work well, I will be the first one to give credit where credit is due. Also on the same note, if Dave’s products or service where horrible and prices were high, I would be the first to tell you that. Anywat, back to the glue. The new glue guns we got are working quite well. The glue is alot less expensive and the guys in the shop seem to like the guns better. No springs popping out or handles popping off. One of the guys like them because they don’t pinch his hand ( I didn’t ask).

Mory

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

You were still buying the 3m glue? The stuff is expensive and it never fails that right in the middle of a backsplash installation, the ribbed glue twist and you can’t get it back straight. We bough a Bosch glue gun that worked great for awhile. Then I bought one from Adhesive Technologies the finally crapped out. The last one I bough is from Bruce Adhesive, not sure what brand. Lasted for about 8 months or so.

Wags

Mory

Curious what the brand of your guns and glue are ?

Jon Olson

We use the Polygon 3C from 3M– I buy a generic version pellet from Chemical Concepts. A very loyal vender of the show. I believe they have been at every show.

neil kelley

Andy,

Which model did you have from Adhesive Technologies? I ask because we make models that retail from $ 1.99 up to $2500.00. As you already know it’s important to use the right tool for the appropriate application, professional use vs. homeowner etc. I sent you a PRO200 model for you to test, although an entry level professional glue gun, I believe

it may be exactly what your looking for. If not I will upgrade to the next model which retails for around $120.00, which will outlast your grandkids!!!!!! Another thought, most people don’t realize is that the quality of glue that is used will effect the longevity of the glue gun, some inexpensive hot melts contain acidic properties that will destroy the life of the glue gun. Glueman / Ad Tech

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

What kind of glue ruins the guns? How can we tell the difference? I’m curious.

neil kelley

Andy,

Thats a great question, I’ll answer it, but you will not be able to tell the difference when purchasing your hot melt at retail unless you are familiar with the manufacturer. Some of your light yellow colored hot melts are Rosin Ester ,derived from pine tree stumps, most of these are Rosin / Eva Based. The acidity in the pine eats away at the silicone sleeve thus destroying the glue gun. Ad Techs Professional Grade Glue Guns use Teflon sleeves which are acid resistant yet cost ten times the price of your silicone sleeves. The difference between good hot melt vs bad hot melt is based on the quality or lack of quality raw materials used to make a finish product.

The bottom-line is you get what you pay for. Sorry for the mis-spellings. Glueman

Bill Hodgson

Rosin ester can also be found in certain sodas like Wink, Fresca etc….

Quite frankly, never had any of our glue eat up a glue gun but like glueman said, you get what you pay for.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Sounds like the problem can be solved by purchasing a glue gun that has the acid resistant sleeve. Then it won’t really matter what glue you buy, being that is hard to determine which is which.

neil kelley

Andy, Great Point!! Other important factors that determine great glue guns from others are the following:

1. Tight Tolerances within the tool to ensure proper heat dispersement, and proper glue feeding.

2. Stainless steel components and fittings vs steel.

3. Circuit Board Thermostats vs Mechanical

4. Depending upon the usage and application, Cartridge Heaters vs PTC Heating Systems plays a major role in the longevity and output of a glue gun.

The Bottom-Line is if one thinks he or she can buy a quality long lasting glue gun for $10.99 they better buy a case of them!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glueman.

neil kelley

Dave, That’s Scary!!! Then again what’s not bad for you these days! GM

Keith Futch

Glueman, I have a customer that buys $8.00 glue guns from us 24 at a time. While I do not promote these, his theory is that he’d rather have his guys drop & abuse a cheap gun than him keep replacing the 50-90 dollar guns.

Human nature…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.