Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Question….

do any of you know the gloss meter ratings on Quartz verses Natural stone?

I understand that some natural stone colors would be higher then others, I am looking for a range.

thanks

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I understand that quartz is not as glossy.

Tom M

I think one of the quartz tech bulletins has a reflectivity number. Problem is, what do you compare it to?

Lenny E

Hi Michelle,

As you know gloss is partially dependant upon the color

The estone plant in Turkey had a spec of 4-10 gloss on honed, and minimum of 45 on polished.

I was going thru old Silestones specs and they had a range of 35-70 for polished.

I hope this helps!

Topshop

A gloss meter will not help you. If repairing or restoring stone or e-stone you need to look at it in a reflection to know if you have the gloss correct. A meter can be fooled easily and does not see what your eye sees.

Lenny E

Yep topshop the eye is the best meter.

Michele an old trick…hold the surfacing under a florescent light…if the reflection looks fuzzy or wavy the gloss and surface is not correct. If it looks like a crystal clear shiny image, thats high gloss. Ming bai ma? (Chinese for is it clear, and Im not Chinese, heh heh).

Thanks it did!

I would expect a quartz surface to start in the low 50’s with a polished finish, and a granite or “granite” surface to be anywhere from the mid 70’s to low 90’s

Like TopShop said, meters can be deceiving. It gives a numerical value, not a percentage. I have seen all the way up to 125 on the gloss meter. and as low as 80 on something with tremendous clarity. 
    I am not sure exactly what it takes into consideration when giving the number. Im sure its some sort of combination of clarity, depth and shine .
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.