Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Wayne

Is anyone using the dust extaction shroud on their Gem sanders and how well do they work?

We were told when properly installed, the shroud sits about 1/4″ above the countertop deck. We’re concerned our guys will tip the sander and scratch the top.

Amir Azami

Hi Wayno,

I posted the same answer or the ISSFA BB. We have 3 of these sanders and have had no problem as long as the pad is maintained. We had one of our units start rubbing on the top and replacing the pad solved the problem. That Gem sander was about 5 years old. We also started to store the sanders upside down (not with the pad facing down)

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Wayno,

We havn’t had a problem with that at all. The shroud we have has a little brush on the bottom. I think the sander Sia Abrasives has is a better system. Plus it has a cutout on the back for field sanding.

Anyone know Jerry Horn’s phone number? He is the one that designed the shroud.

Andy

KCWOOD

Andy, Jerry Horn’s phone # is 513-257-4744

Jerry came by my shop last year and it made all the difference in the world. He is not only a very good resource for our business, but a great guy as well.

He streamlined all my sanders to use the same hole patterns for wood and SS, plus showed me products I never knew existed for different sanding applications.

Hope this helps!![EMO]glasses.gif[/EMO]

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

ThanksNice Logo. Is that new?

Andy

KCWOOD

Yes…. a friend designed it for me. Glad you liked it. I asked Mory about maybe cutting it out onto a piece of SS for a sign by my front door, since I have no CNC.

KC

Mory Ludwick

KC

I have handed the design off to Travis. He is in charge of design and programming. I will be sending you a proof by the end of the week. Once we have the OK from you we will cut it out on the CNC and do an awesome inlay and send it to you. You pay freight.

Mory

KCWOOD

Mory.. Awesome!! [EMO]bigsmile.gif[/EMO]

KCWOOD

has everyone switched their Gem sander to the Do-Nut pad? I can see the benefit of that, because I always had the buildup in the center, but I don’t think the sander runs as smooth. I have caught the paper on the back edge a couple of time(i know–operator error) and torn it. I really can’t see any visible difference in the finish, but I never take a finish to gloss. I really don’t have a use for the center disc, since I use all festool with the dust pickup. Anyone else have any pro’s or con’s on their uses??

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

We use the donut pad because it bolts on perfectly. Then we just use regular sandpaper and it works great. There is a little buildup in the middle, but it doesn’t effect the finish. Having the pad bolt on makes the sander run smooth.

Andy

KCWOOD

Humm, I just tried the donut pad with the full disc. It works better than having the center cut out, not having to worry about snagging on a back or corner.

Thanks Andy

Wayne

Andy,

Would you kindly elaborate on th “Sia Abrasives” sander that compares to the “Gem”.

Pro’s, con’s, and where they’re sold?

Thank you…

Wayno.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Wayno wrote

Andy,

Would you kindly elaborate on th “Sia Abrasives” sander that compares to the “Gem”.

Pro’s, con’s, and where they’re sold?

Thank you…

Wayno.

Wayno,

Call Jerry Horn. Jerry Horn’s phone # is 513-257-4744. He used to work for Sia Abrasives or had a deal with them, not sure exactly. Anyway, he will know all about the donut pad and the abrasives for it. Both the sanders are the same except for the way the shroud has an opening that is removable on the Sia. It allows you to get the sander right up to the wall.

Also Performance Abrasives has a Gem sander that does the same thing.

Andy

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.