Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    KCWOOD

I didn’t know one could mix their own silicone. That is awesome.

Most off the shelf colored silicone.. kinda, sorta, but not exactly matches. I use the Polysil because it contains the exact material your top is made from. I know it cost more but convienience is worth something.

Andy,

Do you have a problem with the silicone being rough when mixing your own. We used to make our solid surface and had the particulate mix that we would add to silicone for the installers, matched awesome but was a little rough. The tinted silicone we found stayed longer and did not lose particulates.

John

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

What we do to keep the silicone fresh is to use about half of the cartridge on the job before and then save the tube. When we need a custom color, we cut the cartridge in half, poke the plug out of the back, add the colorant, stick the plug back on and that is it. We usually only mix enough for one job, then we toss it.

Super cheap way to do it, but it takes a little time to perfect mixing colors to match. We love the translucency that it gives you. The silicone just kinda disappears into the material.

Andy

Are you using a liquid pigment or particulates for the silicone. I know of a company that you can order empty cartitrdges and a machine so you can load your own tubes.

John

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

John,

We use liquid pigment.

I would love to have that phone number to get empty cartridges. I tried to find a company that had those with no luck.

Thanks,

Andy

I will try to locate it for you and let you know. Its been a while. I found it by calling a local paint store and they gave it to me.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Sounds good.

eric markey

i also use a 2″ stacked edge and a 1′ pc for all my shop and feild seamsand reinforce all my cooktop cutout with a 5″ stripall around( were accessible ) i always do it the old way cant stand vgrooving not out to reinvent the wheel also just to note i love this web site its nice to chat with others have a great day

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

novoids wrote
    i also use a 2″ stacked edge and a 1′ pc for all my shop and feild seamsand reinforce all my cooktop cutout with a 5″ stripall around( were accessible ) i always do it the old way cant stand vgrooving not out to reinvent the wheel also just to note i love this web site its nice to chat with others have a great day

Novoids,

Are you saying that you put a support piece all the way around the cooktop opening? Have you ever had any problems with that? Just curious.

Andy

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.