Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Would anyone like to offer suggestions on purchasing large sized slab carts for moving slabs around our warehouse? We currently have overhead cranes, but would like to augment these w/one or more rolling dollies. I have found quite a few that are 6′ or less in length, but was hoping to find something longer, around 8′.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1st post…..w00t!

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Nice Job on the first post.

Actually I have the exact same situation. I am looking for a cart to carry finished counters to the loading area. I want it to be 8′ long and have a secondary shelf in the middle so I can stack two high on each side of the rack. Mory had some information on a few carts. I will get in touch with him to find out more.

Eric Pate

Good question. We sell a cart that will only accomadate around 6 ft.. 3000lb rated and phenolic casters so it won’t mar a customers floors while wheeling in the piece. However, it’s not cheap to ship as it has to go truck line, so although we sell a bunch of them, It’s in Florida where our trucks can deliver them.

Sold for a few months a line from a company called Groves. Again, freight in killed us and it was just not profitable so we decided not to get in to the heavy stuff.

Not sure if they sell direct, but they may have a dealer in your area. You can find out by going to:

http://www.groves.com

Again, If we don’t have it, we’ll tell ya where to get it !

Dave, thanks for the beta. Groves biggest one still isn’t quite as big as I’m looking for, but it’s the largest one I’ve found yet.

Looks like the largest one is 84” long x 72” high…weighs 360 and holds 7200. Freight shouldn’t be a problem either, as they are in IL, and I’m in St. Louis. 360lbs tho…
    Seems like they could slim that down some, and holding 7200 lbs is a bit much. I’d like something to move granite slabs w/, not bundles. All I want is something 8′ long, 5-6′ high, that holds….let’s say 2000lbs….is that too much to ask?

the search continues….

Shane Barker

Go down to a local metal fabrication shop and see how much
    they would charge to make you one up. You could source out the casters your
    self and just have them build you the rack. Save a lot of $$$ in shipping.

Shane

(-)~(-)
    (,,)
    ~~~~~

jeremy brown

Agreed Shane. Or, buy yourself a welder and make one to fit your needs.

Tom M
    Agreed Shane. Or, buy yourself a welder and make one to fit your needs.

We did. I’ll try tp post some pics on Tues.

Tom

kevin nelson

Has to be a heck of a lot cheaper to build your own. How much money in steel did it cost you Tom? Labor…etc

if you have some one that is a decent welder, it will be cheap to make. That is my plan once I need more than the ones we already have. Figure $75 for renting the welder and cut off saw for the day, $100 for steel and casters, having exactly what suites your needs, priceless.

sorry could not help myself.

John

hmmm….hadn’t really thought of going that route, but it does seem to be a smart one. especially considering we’re probably be going to want several of them eventually.

I’m also lucky in that there are alot of metal fabrication shops in St. Louis.

thanks for the suggestion.

Tom M
    Has to be a heck of a lot cheaper to build your own. How much money in steel did it cost you Tom? Labor…etc

Dave,
    I had a ringer. My cousin Doug, who is an awesome installer, does a pretty good weld. As for angle iron, etc., I’ll check on the cost, but the labor cost me the time I couldn’t use him. I built them a few January’s ago. January can also be known in New England as “The month where stuff gets fixed, built, and improved”.

I’ll see Tuesday.

Tom

Jon Olson

We use a-frame metal carts that are 4 long 36 inches wide. Last time we purchased any it ran us about $300.00 . They where made in state so we picked them up .

The welder idea is good. Don’t forget to price in painting them. It will keep the rust off.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.