Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    joe

Hey, just throwing this out there, but we have been having a bunch of Formica Solid surface going through the shop lately.  On a few we have been having problems with the buildups coming off.  Nice clean delaminations.  Never any issues with the other solid surface materials.  We have swithed to Glue Warehouse adhesives and wonder if they are not compatible?  Anyone else out there with these issues??

Chad Thomas

Joe,
    As mentioned on the phone- you really need to increase the mechanical bond when working with a material that contains polyester. (Formica, Avonite etc)
    Polyester is very resistant to the chemical bond that you get with true acrylics.

The best way to do this is to increase the surface area of the substrates- rough it up with 100 or 80 grit paper and you will create more area for the glue to grab.

Tom M

That’s what always worked for us.
    80 – 120 grit.

and dont forget to then clean off the dust with Vodka becuase nuthin sticks to dust.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Hey Joe,

We have had issues like that in the past. Polyester material doesn’t stick all that great with the factory finish. We take a block sander with 80 grit on all the surfaces to be glued. On the bottom side of the deck, we use a belt sander with 80 grit and quickly remove the factory lines.

This has always worked in the past. We have also used Formica, Integra, Glue Warehouse and other brands on the material and they work fine.

If the adhesive doesn’t cure in about an hour or less (regular temperatures, not freezing cold) then the glue worked as designed. If it takes longer, you will have to investigate whether the adhesive is curing properly or just drying out.

Hope that helps,

Andy

joe

Chad, thanks for the phone conversation. The guys are instructed to rough up the pieces, without rounding off the edges, and that should be good. I didnt think the glue was the issue but was the only thing different we have been doing, but again this formica stuff isnt something we do a lot of.
    Gene, VODKA?? I need to come work for you! LOL

Andy, the glue warehouse adhesive seems to bond alot better. I notice this during repairs and I found that I cannot get a clean break along a seam like I could with the integra. Curing has never been an issue here, but Integra does cure faster. In the shop we have the time and enough jobs to keep moving.

Thanks for the input guys!!!!!

Joe..Oh gOd kinda scared to share this but..lets just say if you only bring one bottle of denatured alcohol to clean the seam or buildup in your case..talking about on the job what I did..if it spills and then the customer doesnt have rubbing alcohol in theri medicine chest..and your first aid kit doesn’t have any more alcohol pads…ya gotta do whatcha gotta do..I was a fan of inspector gadget..LOL

So when I was seaming a bar..yes I used Vodka..the cheaper the better..it wll clean that edge better than cleaning supplies..I get accused of drinking on the job all the time because I dance and they smell all the denatured alcohol anyway…
    KCWOOD

Posted By Gene McDonald on 03 May 2013 04:03 PM
    Joe..Oh gOd kinda scared to share this but..lets just say if you only bring one bottle of denatured alcohol to clean the seam or buildup in your case..talking about on the job what I did..if it spills and then the customer doesnt have rubbing alcohol in theri medicine chest..and your first aid kit doesn’t have any more alcohol pads…ya gotta do whatcha gotta do..I was a fan of inspector gadget..LOL

So when I was seaming a bar..yes I used Vodka..the cheaper the better..it wll clean that edge better than cleaning supplies..I get accused of drinking on the job all the time because I dance and they smell all the denatured alcohol anyway…

here in Kentucky… we use Moonshine!

Dont use Moonshine on Dovae solid surface that stuff will probly melt..see we all have our state tricks to get the job done…

Yeah, here in PA, we put maple syrup in our adhesive to kill the smell. We call it our “3-Part Epoxy”

Josh..Im stealing that idea..thanx buddy..Aunt jemima Countertops here we come…

Hahaha! I can only imagine the logo… or the company clothing.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.