Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    adam korth

Greetings everyone. I had a customer ask me today if we could make her cooktop a flush mount. Working on granite and engineered stone countertops for 7 years now, I have never heard of this. So, my question to all of you is have you ever seen/heard/ and/or done something like this? The appliance “sales person” from a local store sold her on this idea and when I talked to him about it he claimed to of seen it about 5 years ago. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Adam

Sounds like a bad idea, on expansion issues alone. A big enough gap for expansion would make a pretty nasty grease trap. Stone, quartz, solid surface all sound like not the ideal material for such a job, maybe laminate would be possible.

I’d send her back to the appliance store for more info. Maybe the “salesman” can do it for her. He sure is good at giving advice on things he knows nothing of.

Chris Yaughn

Sounds like a PITA to me. DOn’t forget to mention the sealant around the perimeter.

Check here

http://www.stoneadvice.com/forum/flush-mount-cooktop-installations-t4693.html?highlight=flush mount cooktop

Chris

We did a couple. It’s easy with a CNC, but if by hand it’s tough. I don’t recommend it. There is still a small gap between the cooktop and granite where food can fall. Even if you silicone it, food still sticks to it. I would talk them out of it or else charge the heck out of it to do. That’s what we do. Charge enough to make it worth your headache.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

It can be done but it will crack over time. We have done it four different times and they all end up bad. If you do it, make sure you have your cooktop corner seam supports in place.

Also, I don’t think it is warrantied.

Karl Crooks

Andy is right, we have found the same to be true !

Gordon Doull

Bad idea. Straight out.

Adam, you need to get your customer to go another way on this.

If you can’t, give them my phone number. We’ll be happy to fix it.

adam korth

Much appreciated gentleman. The customer did decide to go standard. Just in case you were wondering.

Mark Mihalik

I’ve done it with stone. What a PITA. I think Wolf makes the flush cooktops. Luckily I had the cooktop at the shop bc the template they sent was way off. I contacted the manufacturer and you have to leave a gap for thermal expansion. The job looked good but I would never reccomend it. Its too dirty, as mentioned before, everything sticks or falls into the gap/silicone. I’ll do whatever necessary to discourage customers from them.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.