Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

I just finished & installed about 16′ of Formica brand SS tops. They wanted a matte finish. The tops turned out great & they are very happy but they have a question. What can I do to the finish of the tops so to not show oil smudges such as from a muffin or piece of cake? This is in an office kitchen & the ladies bring cupcakes or cake most every day! They clean up fine but they asked what could be done. I told them I could put a high polish on there, but that also brings to light more scratches easily.
     I finished with 320 then Scotch Brite. I told them I would ask the experts!!

David Gerard

place matts with your company logo

Tom M

320 grit and #7447 Maroon Scotch Brite is kind of redundant. The grit rating is pretty close, if I remember correctly.

Remember, color choice can show or hide greasy smudges as much as finish can. David is right, there may not be a whole lot you can do, depending on the color.

David Gerard

dont eat off the counter ladies, you never know what goes on there after hours

Tom M

As demonstrated in the Lenny joke in that other thread.

Lenny E

Hi Brian,

What color is it? If it’s new I designed it, if it’s old I knocked it off in China. If I know the color maybe I can think of something to help.

Tom,

You should know better than to invoke the name of the devil in writing no less, for he shall appear.

The color is Chicory Mosaic, Formica brand.

Lenny E

OK, I know that one well. Kinda on the darker side, large particles. Let me think about that a bit and get back to you.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

There is not much you can do. If you were to scotchbrite with grey and then white it would put a semi gloss finish that might help it a little.

If you place oil on the top you are going to see it. Suggest she brings carrots and celery sticks for a snack.

Thats kinda what I thought guys, but was hoping for the cure all!!

Tom M

Yeah, because telling women to eat low calorie food will do wonders in the workplace.

Lenny E

Brian,

Some colors and finishes will show grease spots less but t.here is not alot you can do about that except for having them use plates or napkins.

Lenny E

Or clean the counter when finished.

Fab Man

What ever happened to just using Windex. Cleans olive oil and grease off a SS countertop with ease. That is all I use at home. It is fast and does a fantastic job.

(Don’t use Fantastic)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.