Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Scott MacKay

For those of you using the Festool sander, what grade of 3M micron do you use on a regular basis?

Thanks, Dave

Well jchristina, after 18 views, apparently nobody uses 3M Micron on Festool sanders(although 18 views is not a lot) and that is why we don’t stock it. The next day could prove me wrong. We will see.

Evan Kruger

we use 80, 60, and 30 micron with the 6″ porter cable sanders. I got the samples you sent of the 150, 220, and 320 grit and am going to try them out this week. Pretty sure I would like the micron available if you are thinking about stocking it. We do a lot of polished polyester work and from what I have heard, will need to continue with micron products for that. Also interested in trying 15 micron. Dani advocates that, if I remember right, and I need to try it to see if it saves time.

Thanks for the samples, much appreciated. Al

Al, the samples I sent are not to equate to the Micron you currently use, more for your woodworking side. We we do stock the 6″ Hookit Micron with the Porter-Cable hole pattern. 60,80 & 100. A little 30 and no 15 Micron which = 600g.

Davis Linder

We usually start by using the 60 then 30 3M micron on our festool rotex. We’ve tried several different types of equivalent grit sandpaper but the micron seems to work the best. We finish with the gem sander with a wet 1800 or 2000 from Micro Finishing Surfaces or a wet Scotchbrite.

When we have to go grittier to get deeper scratches we normally use a 120 or 180 from Klingspor.

[THB]Bruce Image.gif[/THB] Bruce Adhesives stocks the 3M 366L 6″ 9H for the Festool sander.

Dani Homrich

Dani Designs stocks 3M 268L in 6″ 9H for Festool in 100 – 15 micron

KEVIN PARK

Yet 366L is the reccommended Micron for Solid Surface. 268L for wood. Glad I could help you 2 out.

Dani Homrich

Dave,

366L is an open coat surface abrasive coated with a dry lubricant to resist loading for dry sanding only.

If a fabricator wet sands as I do, they need the 268L which is a wet or dry sanding product. Also you tell me why Avonite recommends the 268L to sand their products. I have been to dozens of fabrication seminars with Greg Ulibarri from Avonite teaching polishing and every class Greg holds up a disc of 268L and will say at tech services we have tested and used all sanding products on our material and have found that 3M’s 268L works better and will give the BEST FINISH on our product. I have been using the 268L since the late 80”s and I have never had a customer complaint on the finish that I deliver to them. As for wood sanding I have been sanding wood since 1974 and an open coat abrasive works much better, less loading. 3M”s 268L is not an open coat abrasive and I would not recommend it for sanding wood although it does work, but in my opinion not as well.

Sanding for over 32 years
    Dani Homrich

Randy

Ahhh Dani, I have over 300 solid surface fabricators on the books. NONE Of THEM wet sand with any micron. This is not 1974. Things change. Some tend to over complicate this thing known as Solid Surface.

Actually, we do wet sand the thirty micron on some colors to get a good finish.

Jim

Al, do you ever go to 15 Micron (600g) ?

Dave.

In answer to the original question, I have a festool sander and use micron paper from specialtytools.com in the nine-hole pattern. I use all grits from 100 to 15 at various times depending on the finish on the top. Shawn

How does $35.00 for 50 pieces sound vs $21.35 for 25 pieces?

Just a thought.

milad samadi

Dave, I saw Dani at this years ISSFA and decided to try out the 15 micron on the high polish K3’s (avonite) on the next job. He had some good ideas and sure changed my way of thinking.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.