Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    KCWOOD

It seems my Festool sanding pads are not lasting as long anymore.   I just put a new pad on, last week and the first time I sanded a sink,  when I went into the top corner, the sandpaper peeled back which exposed the velcro, which screwed up that section of sanding pad. Now it can only be used on flat surfaces.  That was the 4th pad this year on the same Rotex.  I’m not doing anything different this year as I have in the previous years.

One thing I noticed, I also have the hard Festool pads, when I place the same SIA dics on them, it is a extremely tight grip, with the new soft pad, it seems to be rather easy to peel off, huge difference.

I am really thinking about switching over to PSA.  These Festool pads just keep going up in price and with shipping, they are getting real close to the $50 mark

Steve Mehan

Kelsey,

I had that problem with the festool before and now I only use Dani’s radius pads on sinks.

KCWOOD

Steve,   I use my dynabrade air sander on the sink bowls with a radius pad too, My Festool on the top edge to remove the adhesive, it just seems whether it is a front edge of buildup sanding into the corner or a sink top corner, the Festool pad cannot hold the sandpaper as good as it used to when the edge is flexed.

At one of the shows, a SIA rep gave me replacement pad for my Rotex to try. I used that thing forever. When I needed another one, my SIA supplier could not find a replacement pad for the Rotex.

I did not know Dani had any pads?   I’ll check on that.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

KC,

Check the Product Review section under the Resources tab. I did a review of the pad and it really works well.

You can also buy interface pads that effectively save the velcro on the actual Festool pad. It is nothing more than an 1/8″ thick piece of medium foam that has velcro on both sides. Now when you continuously remove the sandpaper and sand edges, it will not break down the expensive pad.

KCWOOD

Posted By Andy on 25 Oct 2009 12:24 PM
    KC,

Check the Product Review section under the Resources tab. I did a review of the pad and it really works well.

You can also buy interface pads that effectively save the velcro on the actual Festool pad. It is nothing more than an 1/8″ thick piece of medium foam that has velcro on both sides. Now when you continuously remove the sandpaper and sand edges, it will not break down the expensive pad.

Andy, the only interface pads I have used is rather hard and do not have any flex.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

You are right KC, they are a bit hard, but work fine for us.

I was going to replace the pads on my Rotex sanders.  I just about pooped my pants when I found out the cost was $47.00 US for the super soft pad.  the last time I bought them it seams like they were about $36.00 and I thought that was outrageous.  

I seem to remember a thread about this problem that Karl Crooks responded to.  I thought he said that he replaces the velcro on the pad.  I submitted the question about how to get the old velcro disc off.  No responses.
    Today I used a heat gun to warm the old velcro disc (be very carefull not to heat it too much and melt the foam backing).  This worked really well.  I found velcro hook sheet at:
    I should be able to get six replacement discs from the sheet.  that will be less than $4.00 per disc.  I will use an industrial strength spray adhesive on the pad.  The velcro has a PSA backing.
    Johnny C
    Karl Crooks

Posted By John Christensen on 30 May 2012 05:26 PM

I was going to replace the pads on my Rotex sanders.  I just about pooped my pants when I found out the cost was $47.00 US for the super soft pad.  the last time I bought them it seams like they were about $36.00 and I thought that was outrageous.  

I seem to remember a thread about this problem that Karl Crooks responded to.  I thought he said that he replaces the velcro on the pad.  I submitted the question about how to get the old velcro disc off.  No responses.
    Today I used a heat gun to warm the old velcro disc (be very carefull not to heat it too much and melt the foam backing).  This worked really well.  I found velcro hook sheet at:
    I should be able to get six replacement discs from the sheet.  that will be less than $4.00 per disc.  I will use an industrial strength spray adhesive on the pad.  The velcro has a PSA backing.
    Johnny C

Johnny, yes this is what we do. Its important that the pad you are reusing is flat and smooth so if we have any left over glue that did not dome off we sand it off, clean it real good and them put the new velcro on.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I just did the same thing with the heat gun and it worked like a charm. You can buy the replacement velcro from Performace Abrasive with the correct hole pattern.

We then use what is called and interface pad from Performance Abrasive. This basically protects the velcro on the sander. When the interface pad wears out, you put in the trash and stick on a new one.

Posted By Andy Graves on 31 May 2012 03:33 PM

I just did the same thing with the heat gun and it worked like a charm. You can buy the replacement velcro from Performace Abrasive with the correct hole pattern.

We then use what is called and interface pad from Performance Abrasive. This basically protects the velcro on the sander. When the interface pad wears out, you put in the trash and stick on a new one.

Good source Andy.  To be more specific:

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

That’s a bingo.

They are really nice folks as well.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.