Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    nssthan

I just made another video to show drilling six 1 3/8″ holes while only changing the speeds on a variable speed angle grinder. When I drilled the hole on speed #3 or 7000rpm it reduced the time to 20 seconds. Because it was a visual demonstration whoever wants to argue will have to beat science.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiPLsMwHfx8

Now, if my math is correct and you are paying your guy $25 per hour they will have to drill 5143 holes just to pay for the $180 tool. I figure I can help them shave the 5 seconds somewhere else in the day without having to pay the money.

Now for you Joe, I wore ear plugs. Remember when clinton said that he “didn’t inhale”, well I didn’t really push them in. One step at a time

nssthan

Than:

This is kind of silly. You are drilling through 2cm, the video to which I linked drilled through 3cm in fifteen seconds dry. Should we add 1/3 to your times for comparison? What about the time you spent dressing the bit?

Again, Brad started this thread seeking a good solution for drilling in home, on site. The curtains at the window over the sink are going to be a splattered mess with all the water you’re using. I’ll pay $180.00 to avoid a P.O.’ed customer anytime.

They are not comparable.

Joe

nssthan

First of all the initial question was using that suction cup thing and boiling the water. Second, there was at least one post talking about the speed to drill at. And last, your link only went to the Braxton catalog not to a video.

Seriously, you went to the curtains? I drilled 6 holes! And how many guys talked about a wet solution. Recognize the intent. Do not automatically jump to slower is better unless you can prove it. From my little experiment you can see speed variation results and if your comfortable having a rotozip in your tool box — get one, but it’s not your tool; it’s the diamonds, temp, AND the speed.

Dressing th bit was only to ensure that each new speed was not effected by the last hole. Come on man! Don’t you have kids in science?? You can only have 1 variable at a time.

Nssthan

Bill Wolle

Nssthan,

Welcome to your baptism of Joe.

Every once in awhile I forget, but not often. You are learning.

Bill

Topshop

You have a better chance of the core bit not grabbing/walking when starting a hole if the bit is turning faster.

I think the original poster just needs to get some better quality core bits. I have tested core bits for a distributor (Calibre resources) before and not all core bits are created equal. The fastest cutting bits I ever tried were experimental ones that I have no idea what brand they were – it kills me that I never got the name of them. I don’t drill too many holes these days and still have the bit somewhere.

It is best to drill everything you can in the shop and not in a customers home.

Posted By nssthan on 10 Dec 2010 09:21 PM
    First of all the initial question was using that suction cup thing and boiling the water. Second, there was at least one post talking about the speed to drill at. And last, your link only went to the Braxton catalog not to a video.

Seriously, you went to the curtains? I drilled 6 holes! And how many guys talked about a wet solution. Recognize the intent. Do not automatically jump to slower is better unless you can prove it. From my little experiment you can see speed variation results and if your comfortable having a rotozip in your tool box — get one, but it’s not your tool; it’s the diamonds, temp, AND the speed.

Dressing th bit was only to ensure that each new speed was not effected by the last hole. Come on man! Don’t you have kids in science?? You can only have 1 variable at a time.

Nssthan

Nssthan:

While you are correct that my link went to the Braxton Bragg site, if you simply scroll down you would see:

“Click on the images below to view a video demo of the XCore Bit and Tile Dock accessories.”

If you click on the ExCore Holesaw Video, it will appear. Excuse me for not giving such detailed instructions previously.

Where do you get that I “automatically jumped to slower is better”? The Rotozip spins at 30,000 RPM, considerably faster than other methods shown.

Dressing the bit was not about variables, it was about time consumption. If you have to dress your bit, it has to be considered part of the time it takes to drill a hole. If you have to remove or cover the lady’s curtains in the home because you’re making a wet mess, it has to be considered part of the time it takes to drill a hole. I’m just asking for fairness in method comparison.

Joe

nssthan

I never said that you were the one who said slower is better, but you can read that in a post in July.  And dressing is absolutely about controlling the variables.  That is the only way that someone couldn’t say that the holes at the end could have been done faster, but the diamonds were starting to glaze or were glazed over.  If you would like I can make another for you without the dressing and I’m sure the results will be very close to the same.

Would it be a safe assumption to say that the curtains would be as dirty as my shirt? If so, perfectly clean.
    Sorry, but sometimes I need VERY detailed instructions.  
    nssthan
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.