Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Randy Evans

I’m a consumer, not a countertop pro. I participate in an online forum at GardenWeb, for kitchen remodels, and a poster there says that she is told that she can’t have a laminate countertop because she is going to have a farmhouse (apron) sink.

Does that make sense to you guys? I ask out of complete ignorance.

Tom M

Nope. Not at all.

What she can’t have (and I’m guessing she and whoever was looking at a particular mount sink) is an undermount Farm sink. Drop ins should be fine.

Tom M

Randy,
    I should correct that to say shouldn’t, rather than can’t.

Randy Evans

Thanks very much for your quick and helpful replies, Tom.

David Gerard

we are as we type doing a farm house sink on a job.

the customer bought the sink first then hired us. I talked them into a section of SS at the sink and the rest of the kitchen using laminate with matching SS edge and splash.

Exactly my thoughts Tom.

I have often thought though one could layer the rim area with SS and mount that similar to the Karran sinks and then like Dave said run a SS edge around all the laminates.

Any thoughts on that idea ?

Tom M

Reuben,
    If you underlay (with build up) a solid surface edge, say about 2″ wide, and overlay the laminate you could route through it, but you would likely end up with a fairly sharp turn. You get this with the Karran sinks in laminate.

If you wanted to flush apply the edge, like in a more standard solid surface applied edge top instead of a bevel edge laminate top, you could do it, but I think the cost might make it worth looking at all solid surface or hard surface materials. There would also be a higher risk of water damage with it to boot.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.