Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Tom M

You too, Wags.

David Gerard

what I love about our small shop is that it is not at all complicated. Just the schedule sometimes, the fabbing part is so simple most times we can use the time as mind therapy. Yep, it’s just how you look at things.

Gordon Shell

One of my close friends has a large volume shop and he does great quality work! He is also very smart, he recently dropped a very large amount of big box business due to lack of $$ related to the volume, he knows that volume doesnt always equal $$ and has decided to focus more on his customers that understand the value of a quality fabricator instead of beating him down on price with promises of volume. My favorite calls are the new guys that say “You have to set me up, I just became an approved vendor for HD and Lowes, we will be the biggest guy in town this year”. I don’t always have the heart to tell them what the future is about to bring.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Posted By Gordon Shell on 11 Apr 2012 09:56 AM

My favorite calls are the new guys that say “You have to set me up, I just became an approved vendor for HD and Lowes, we will be the biggest guy in town this year”. I don’t always have the heart to tell them what the future is about to bring.

This is a perfect example of what I mean by some of the good fabricators are not always the best business folks.

Len Smith

I bought a chainsaw at HD to cut down some Eucalyptus trees in my backyard. I should have hired a tree trimmer, but thought I could save a few bucks and still own a chainsaw when I was finished. One of the trees fell right where I left my chain saw, and it broke the housing.

I went back to HD to buy some parts to fix my chainsaw. The clerk told me “we don’t sell parts. Just go get a new chainsaw and we’ll send this one back to the manufacturer.” I told the clerk “this wasn’t a manufacturing problem, I was an idiot.” Doesn’t matter, we don’t sell parts, was the clerk’s response. I walked out with a new chain saw and a guilty conscience.

I knew right then that if I was the fabricator for the HD, that manufacturer would be me, and they’d be giving away the farm…my farm….to any customer who fouled up their own kitchen and complained. No thanks.

David Gerard

Maybe Home Depot eats it? Maybe Husqavarna (I hope it’s a Husky) has an agreement with HD? As a fabber I would never make that agreement. Fred Meyers dept store here and in the northwest has a replacment policy. I have taken 2 pairs of neoprene chest waders back with worn stitching around the knees, no problem getting them changed. I change them out before i have a breach, icy cold water creepin up my leg while trying to fight a king salmon is no fun.

Len Smith

I suppose it’s possible David, that the HD does things like that out of the goodness of their heart, but I’d be surprised. I’ve heard stories of customers who know how to use HD’s complaint system to start getting discounts on their countertops and other installed goodies, and in these stories it usually comes from the contractor’s pocket. No personal experience with installed services, so I could be wrong.

I do know that HD didn’t think taking installed services in house was such a good deal for them with the same policies in place. How long did that last, a year maybe?

Fab Man

I know this is an old discussion but I am new to the site. Actually found it by accident.

I was a small shop for over 20 years. I ran/worked the business with my wife, one additional fabricator and one helper.

I did find that my retail business grew by leaps and bounds when I moved my shop directly accross the street from a HD.

I never dropped my prices and never let my material usage get above 35%.
    I had the “pot full of routers” so I didn’t have to pick up a wrench unless the bit was dull. (20 + routers) for edges alone. Small price to pay to keep things simple. (KISS Rule)

Home Depot found they had a hard time competing. They always get 100% up front.
    I only took 50% up front. My quality,service and reputation said it all. Not one warranty claim it the whole time in business.  Being able to serve the customer faster than HD and providing top quality in product and design was a large boost.
    I actually had a large fab shop help me when I needed it without sacrificing quality.

Retired now but miss the business and the work. I still make small amounts of my
    recessed shower caddy for the few customers that still want to buy from me. 

I refuse to give up my CNC routers and lathe. You all know the addage of
    “Grown men and their toys”.

Len Smith

You go, Fab Man!

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

When did you close your shop Fab Man?

Tom M

And where were you located?

Welcome to Fabnet, by the way.

Jon Olson

Florida

Fab Man

I retired 3 years ago. My daughter took the business over at that time.
    I still make accessories with several of the 100% acrylics. Just can’t give
    up my CNC machines. As stated before “The only difference between men and boys is the size and price of their toys”.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.