Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

When do you cut out for switches/recepticles? When you are installing or do you take measurements and cut in the shop?

Tom M

Usually on installation. There are some circumstances (usually job site issues) that make a shop cut the only option, but we would have a really well scribed template in that case, so the time issues would be similar anyway.

Starting a job next week that has coved splashes with 4 recpts cut into the splash.  I will be cutting them in the shop.  I really don’t like cutting them on the job site.  I like to bring in the top and set it in place and move on.

(OK, that being said, I have missed a couple in my history.  But I still prefer to cut them in the shop)

Johnny C
    Tom M

It also depends on whether the wall sheets are 1/4″ or 1/2″. A Lot of outlets in a 1/4″ sheet can be a s.o.b. to move around.

Walls will be 1/4 inch. When you pull the recepticles/switches out, do you just get longer screws or do you need a box extender to comply with electrical codes?

Sue Turner

I would imagine it depends on your local code.  We just pulled thru and used longer screws.  Never had a problem.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

We template the backslash area and cut at the shop. A try to eliminate all cutting on the job although not always possible.

Tom M

We make laminate tops where we roll the cove and run the splash up to the cabs in one piece. We use the longer 6/32’s, rather than the extender for the box. Check the cods as William said earlier.

Steve , NY

We cut the receptacle holes on the cnc at the same time as the splash is cut, we then install an “old work box” into the hole, poke the wires through the box when we install the top and the electrician does the rest.

Norm Walters

Spark guards are required by code at least where I am, or a cut-in box (old work box at HD).

Typically I do cut-outs on-site, but for a coved job we have had the recepticles cut out in the shop.

Thanks so much for the feedback. It’s great to know there is a wealth of information for a newbie like me. Now if I can actually get someone to do the work for me,… I might be able to finally retire..LOL

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Good luck with that. You can find someone to do the work but it may look like crap.

I’ve been looking for someone that can duplicate the same quality for years. Many have come and gone and nobody seems to care as much as we do. Where is that diamond in the rough?

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I honestly think you have to stay persistent and cycle through about 10 guys to get one good one. It’s hard but possible.

For those that rely on high quality, I think it is much more difficult.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.