Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

special commission appointed by the European Union, has announced that Triclosan (also known as 2,4,4′-trichloro-2′-hydroxydiphenyl ether), the active ingredient in Silestone’s anti-bacterial Microban treatment, has been banned from the list of additives which may be used in the manufacture of plastic materials and articles intended to come into contact with foodstuffs (Annex III to Directive 2002/72/EC).

The commission has decided that Plastic materials and articles manufactured with Triclosan, placed on the market before 1 November 2010, may continue to be marketed until 1 November 2011, subject to national law.
    Attached you may find a link to the European Commission’s decision.
    http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ…01:EN:HTML

So Guys & Gals Have you heard anything on this??

Steve Mehan

I heard that rumored a few years ago about microban. Probably a matter of time until we hear the same the same thing.

Tom M

Wow!
    Thanks for the post.
    I always thought it was more a marketing thing than an actual advantage, but this could bite them back hard.

Lenny E

I wouldnt worry too much about it. I did a surfacing project back in the mid ninetys using microban and know that Microban markets lots of different compounds with anti microbal activity. So im sure they have something just as effective as a drop in substitute for the evil banned one!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.