Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Davis Linder

We are doing a kitchen using a Dovae color in the Onyx collection. This is the first time we are going to fab a job with this type of pattern in the top. Dovae gives a disclaimer saying that your seams will be seen. Does anyone have some advice, tips, or prior experience using this type of color pattern. We are ordering the material today and want to make sure we have all of our ducks in a row before starting this project. Thanks everyone as always for the insight.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

With any directional material, I always do a drawing and lay out where I want the seam to be. If you don’t then you might end up with a seam in a spot that just won’t work or will look terrible.

I don’t think it is so much that the seams can be seen, it is that you need to position them so that they look good with the overall layout of the kitchen.

I prefer mitered corners, but they are a lot more difficult to sand in the field because of the inside corner.

I have never worked with the Dovae but have worked with the corian and Mystera directional veined materials, if they are similar here is what I do. I do a regular seam and plug cut (yes like a repair) some, usually 7 or 8 on the seam. Make your matching plugs and turn them and try to line them up a little differently. Your main objective is to not let your eye follow the straight line of the seam. Another way is to call Kevin Andreas and get his template for this kind of application, last I heard him calling it the wiggle.

Hope this helped.

John C.

Shane Barker

John,

Why do you do the plug method instead of the wiggle seam? I don’t do either but it would seam to be easier to do the wiggle method. I have seen the way it comes out and it was pretty impressive how it helps hide the seem.

Shane

Mitered corners are good idea and I also would suggest a dropped edge instead of stacked edge.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Reuben wrote
    Mitered corners are good idea and I also would suggest a dropped edge instead of stacked edge.

Why do you do a dropped edge? Just curious because we always did a stacked with the vein material. Do you get better results?

Thanks

I have not done many, but I feel the look is more uniform and helps eliminate the possble look of that extra peice. I guess for me it just looks better on these directional patterns.

The reason for the plug method is due to the fact that some people already have the cutters to do it, and will not spend the extra money for the template. The wiggle template does make it look good though. Yes the drop edge method does eliminate extra lines that show up on some materials with the veining, just make sure to put extra pcs behind it for strength. I used to stand up two extra pcs behind it, it only takes a minute more and still gives you that finished feel underneath.

John

Tom M
    Didn’t Jon come up with a wavy seam for the Private Collection?
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.