Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    KCWOOD

Look at the “Width survey. 89% of us would like to have something wider that what is currently offered. I would hope that someone would make a nice banner and display this info at the FabNet booth at Expo. You know all the manufacturers are going to visit our booth.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

KC,

All manufacturers visit this site on a daily basis. The survey was actually conducted for a manufacturer. I had said I wanted wider sheets, the manufacturer said that would be interesting to look into that idea, we decided to do the survey and that is the idea behind the FabNet. Working together to make the industry better.

Tom M
    You need a follow-up.

“What percent increase would you pay for the wider sheets?”

Tom

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Why pay more? Couldn’t we just reduce the length of the sheet to 130″ or so?

KCWOOD

Those of you that have not worked with the 36 x 120 Avonite sheets, those are a pleasure to work with. Very rarely have I ever had to add to the 120″ lenght, because doing the corner the correct way you can get 150″ out of it. KC

Wags

At one time Avonite offered the formstone in 36″ widths. No one bought it, so it was dropped. If your doing standard kitchens a 32″ sheet offers the best yield. Std splash, drop edge (doubled up) and deck. When selling Avonite I would get “I have to charge more due to waste from the 36″ sheet”. Not sure there is a “right size” that fits everyone. Vanities should be 27 1/2″ .

Jon Olson

I don’t think it’s that easy just for a manufacture to change the size of a sheet. There most be some pretty expensive line changes that would have to take place. Who pays for that? How wide do you make your build up? Ours is ¾ wide and we back it up with MDF. Good yield from a 30 inch wide sheet.

Maybe I am missing something on the 32″ wide sheets, but would it not have to be a perfect world to get the exact yeild? In my mind you have not left anyroom for curf removal. I figure need 26″ for deck to allow for the wave in most walls, 4″ for the backsplash if do doulble drop edge that means 2″ okay that gives me 32″, still need 3/8″ more material minimum to cover saw cuts. This is how it works in my mind. Also thinking of those of us that like the 2″ stacked edge 32″ wide with backsplash does not provided enough material eihter. So I figure if have 36″ wide sheets that would allow enogh material for 2″ stacked edge, deck, splash and even enough for the doing cove splash (although still might be a little tight).

Like you said Wags perfect size for all probably not, but with the way industry is going with coves etc I think 36″ wide might be better option for most.

Just my thoughts

Reuben

Joe Corlett

Wags wrote

At one time Avonite offered the formstone in 36″ widths. No one bought it, so it was dropped.

We can all say whatever we want as to how wide we want sheets, but the above quote says it all.

Joe

Jon Olson

Good Point

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Joe Corlett wrote

Wags wrote

At one time Avonite offered the formstone in 36″ widths. No one bought it, so it was dropped.

We can all say whatever we want as to how wide we want sheets, but the above quote says it all.

Joe

No on e bought it in our area cause the sales people didn’t know about it and the distributor didn’t stock it. Special Order. Not very convenient.

Wags

Your right Andy, but we did and it didn’t ! Your situation with your distributor is what happens when their main business is not solid surface, just one more item on a line card. But nationwide it did not sell so it was discontinued. Most mfg do not have the capability to make a sheet wider than 30″. Even Hi Macs new plant in Ga is only a 30″ line. And to answer the question about a 32″ sheet. On acrylic products you can do a single drop edge with no problem, unless, the edge treatment requires more material, ie Bullnose etc.

Also we had a problem because fabricators thought they were paying more, even though the price per sq foot was the same. Hard to overcome 40 years of “std 30″” in the industry.

Paul Bingham

Most of the colors from Formica are available in 36″ widths as well as 30″. Unfortunately the cost averages about 4% more per square ft. For some jobs, often commercial, this extra width is invaluable, but for kitchen and bath there is too much unused material, especially at the 4% premium. 32″ would be perfect as long as there is no price per foot dissadvantage.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.