Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Looking for a company that makes diamond router bits to cut some solid surface on a CNC.  Anyone have a good company they work with?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Brian Stone

We get the majority of our tooling from Great Lakes Custom Tool.

KCWOOD

Andy, when i cut a lot of MDF Board, I used this bit… I used the 1/2″ x 1″ and I think it was around $175.00.  It’s for plastic too.  

http://www.amanatool.com/cncroutingdetails/DRB-200.html

you don’t want to look at what the stone guys use. Different animal…

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Interesting bit KC, but the diameter is a bit big for cutting.

I also need a bit with a profile to cut trivets without having to sand. They need to come off the router in really nice condition.

Brian Stone

Posted By Kelsey Crisp on 30 Nov 2010 07:30 PM

Andy, when i cut a lot of MDF Board, I used this bit… I used the 1/2″ x 1″ and I think it was around $175.00.  It’s for plastic too.  

Hopefully that wasn’t aimed at me. We also fabricate laminate and solid surface.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Posted By Brian Stone on 01 Dec 2010 07:31 AM

Hopefully that wasn’t aimed at me. We also fabricate laminate and solid surface.

I think he was talking about the type of diamond tooling.

KCWOOD

Posted By Brian Stone on 01 Dec 2010 07:31 AM

Brian, whats your point?  Aiming what at you? My reference was the bits used to cut stone by stone guys, a diamond grit bit will not cut SS will it?

Brian Stone

I was just paranoid that you were discounting my suggestion because I may just be seen as a granite fabricator. After re-reading I’m sure it wasn’t aimed that way.

Actually, the tooling that is used in our granite shop will cut solid surface. It’s not practical though. The tools are (relatively) huge, expensive, and don’t do as good of a job as a carbide tipped bit.

For those that don’t know, when profiling a hard surface you use multiple tools. If you’re doing everything on the router from cut to polish there are usually 9-10 tools used per profile. A fingerbit does the first rough cut, on a large profile there is a breaker wheel that is usually a large bevel, there are 4 metal tools for shaping the profile, and usually 4 polishing tools. I just got a new position 1 ogee tool. It was a little over $1k and wouldn’t give you a smooth enough cut on it’s own.

One of the other issues with using granite tooling to cut solid surface is switching them between machines. The connections are usually different and the machines for cutting solid surface usually spin at a much higher rpm. They don’t have the torque necessary to spin a 10lb tool at the correct rpm. That means that you’re most likely going to have to use the stone cnc to run the tools and the solid surface shavings create a problem in the water recycling systems.

One thing that I can say works well is diamond core bits vs hole saws. Most solid surface fabricators probably don’t have a grinder to attach the core bit to though.

kankn
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.