Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

This has to be the biggest pile of mung I’ve ever had the displeasure of reading!

http://countertopcompany.com/articles/9myths.htm

Kyle Streich

Good one Dave. Thing about the granite business is how organized those guys are. You can find this speil almost verbatum all over the web at different countertop sites. You have to hand it to these guys on their marketing efforts, but they left so many holes in their work that it is going to bite them. Consumers are using the internet, going to the stone sites all the the time for advice. Not all the stone guys are salesmen, some actually have to look the customer in the eye when things go wrong.

Imagine how much better our trade would be with an organization to support solid surface? Someone to speak for us, protect our interests. Andy, Mory, anyone ever heard of such a group?

Tom M

Well,

The folks who pushed the Radon myth (much less than how the stone guys blow it out of proportion, by the way), didn’t do us any favors. The idea that granite can’t stain is contradicted even on stone sites that al references for us. This part:

This is perhaps one of the more enduring myths surrounding granite. Granite is exceptionally stain resistant, more so than many synthetic materials, including laminates and solid surface plastics such as Corian.

is just plain silly.

No one said (I hope) that granite can’t be repaired, but there’s no way it can be repaired as well as solid surface. I’ve seen some awesome repair work in stone. I have benefitted from it. It can be well-done by the right people.

If this company really feels that granite is so exceptionally hard to stain, why do they have their special “K2” sealant, with “lifetime” warranty? Why pay for that which you shouldn’t need? The warranty doesn’t cover non-food stains, so what good is it if, as they claim: The likelihood of staining granite through normal kitchen use is so low that it hardly deserves a second thought.

They do bring up one good point, though. I have had very few customers come in who still want granite, that have had many staining issues, nor have they experienced any untoward sickness issues beyond what one could expect from a normal household.

Good find, Dave.

Tom

Brian Davis

Those bone heads contradict their own words…I really want to e-mail them and ask them if they have any type of ecucation whatsoever.

Jon, why don’t you e-mail that link to those “granite gurus?”

Tom M

Jon,

Can Joe make a “printable page” button there, so the text can be larger and still fit on a single page? It prints pretty small.

Can we do that here?

Tom

Joe Corlett

Tom M wrote

Well,

The folks who pushed the Radon myth (much less than how the stone guys blow it out of proportion, by the way), didn’t do us any favors.

All:

The first time I read of the granite/radon alleged connection was in SolidSurface magazine (predecessor of Surface Fabrication) before it was sold to Cygnus Publications.

Joe

Matt Kraft

FEDSAWDAVE wrote

Those bone heads contradict their own words…I really want to e-mail them and ask them if they have any type of ecucation whatsoever.

Anyone find it ironic that education is misspelled?

Tom M

Joe,

Yeah, you could be right, though I’m sure it was whispered in their ears from somewhere.

The point is, it was short-lived, never got legs, and died quick.

The stone guys have been all over it like it was written in the dead-sea scrolls ever since.

Tom

cudink

Want to compare degrees Matt?

Tom M

You both spelled ‘edification’ wrong, as far as I can tell.

Gordon Doull

I sawe thet two. Yew too gize muste bie ediots. 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.