Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Tom M

I have a customer who washed down her quartz tops with a bleach solution (yeah, we told her).

Anyway, there seems to be a slight haze that can be seen from a very low angle and only under certain lighting conditions (late day sun mostly, coming through the window above the sink).

Question one: is the bleach the likely culprit (not much was left after she finished cleaning, but some residue was possible).
    and two: Will Dani’s stuff work or some other compound without creating a major job out of this?

I’d rather do it as a courtesy, but I can’t spend all day on it.

Thanks in advance.

Tom:

It depends.

I can’t believe a diluted bleach wash would damage a quartz top. I’ve left full strength bleach on quartz for an hour with no effect, although certain colors show more than others.

I’d try to duplicate the damage in the shop and figure a repair there first. If you don’t have at least a half day to fool with this, don’t touch it. If you haven’t done anything or don’t do anything, she can’t be very mad at you. If you try and fail, look out.

Quartz refinishing is another universe from solid surface.

Some guys have had great luck with a product called MB 20. It’s eighty bucks a quart, but I’ve got a jug and I’d send you some if you want to play a bit.

Joe

Tom M

Didn’t Dani come up with someth8ing?

I think your advice is good, Joe. I don’t have a disappointed customer – yet.

I am very curious about what could cause it. If it isn’t the bleach, it could be something she hasn’t thought about and it may happen again.

Lenny E

Tom,

Is the haze whitish, like water with a little bit of milk in it?

I dont think the bleach is responsible for that.

Brian Stone

I would wager that there is a buildup of foreign matter (cleaner, hard water, etc.) and not actual damage to the material. The first thing I would try would be a deap cleaning. For that I would use HDCLN from Surface Treatment Technologies. This stuff is amazing. Spray it on, lightly scrub with a brush, and wipe off. If you don’t want to purchase a case of it from them I could send you a bottle.

The MB20 that Joe is referring to is a polishing compound. It would also work but would probably require re-polishing the entire top. That would be a last option for me due to the risks and time involved.

Dani does have a system for polishing engineered stone. It takes a little time to get used to and is more designed for polishing small sections for repairs and would be very time consuming to do an entire top.

Karl Crooks

Tom do you have any photos of the issue, other wise we are all taking stabs in the dark.

From what you have told us, I agree with Brian, start with a deep cleaning.

Unless the surface has been damaged, and that would likly just be the resin, then you could try a light polish compound made for resin not stone.

Tom M

I have some pics I will upload after T’Day.

I thank everyone for the help now, but let’s table it (heh) till after we stuff our birds.

Dani Homrich

Tom
    Sounds like mineral deposits left behind, bleach just breaks them and leaves them behind plus some of the dried bleach may have been left behind. Try a mixture of one part vinegar and four parts water. The vinegar will dissolve mineral deposits so they can be remover with a warm water rinse. Than dry so more deposits ane not left behind. Soap scum will also leave a white residue.

Tom M

Here is the best pic I have of the situation:

I think that even this is an exaggeration. The area seems to be limited to between the stove and sink, but in all honesty, that may be because I can’t duplicate the light reflection from the other side.

As Lenny said, it is kinda like a milky watery look.

Thank yo for the replies so far. I am taking all this in.

I hope it is a residue problem as has been suggested. I will ask the customer to try the vinegar and water solution first. Keep ’em coming.

Karl Crooks

Posted By Dani Homrich on 28 Nov 2010 03:15 PM
    Tom
    Sounds like mineral deposits left behind, bleach just breaks them and leaves them behind plus some of the dried bleach may have been left behind. Try a mixture of one part vinegar and four parts water. The vinegar will dissolve mineral deposits so they can be remover with a warm water rinse. Than dry so more deposits ane not left behind. Soap scum will also leave a white residue.

+1 on this !

Just dont leave any spilled vinegar on the counter over night.

Lenny E

Hi Tom,

The suggestions that Dani had should be tried first. I hope they work. I have seen this on Solid Surface and E stone.

If the Dani suggestion doesnt work, it is the dreaded finish problem. Sometimes at the factory (or in the case of solid surface, by the factory or the fabricator) they skip a step or two in finishing.

It looks great at first, then in a month or two turns milky because the crevices have merely been polished and are still there and trap soap residue etc.

The only cure for that is a complete refinish, back to coarse through every single step. For SS its no biggie, but for E stone it can be a real ball buster!

Dani Homrich

Tom

After you clean the top wipe it down with Denatured alcohol and apply a coat of Liquid Glass it will bring back the color and make the top look great. It will also protect it from things like soap scum. It’s not a wax so it won’t chip, peel, or turn yellow, but rather polymer coating designed for Acrylics and Polyester. I use it on everything. I stock it so if you want to give it a try give me a call. I have fix more than one E-Stone with it.

Tom M

Liquid Glass. I have not heard of this. Is this the auto finish stuff?

This is the course I will recommend. I will keep you guys posted. Dani, I knew you’d have something, and thanks to everyone who has helped so far.

Tom

Tom M

Is this the stuff???

Brian Stone

Yes it is. I would suggest putting it in a different bottle so the customer doesn’t question why you’re putting an auto polish on something that their food will touch though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.