Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Dani Homrich

Box stores give a quote on the customers measurements for just the surface sq ft, no edges, seam blocks, or an extra sheet to do the job then they take all the money for the job. This makes a 3 sheet job only 2 sheets. They already have all the customers money before someone actually looks at the job. Then they call the customer back and say there is more sq ft to do the job and we need you to come back so you can pay the additional amount.

A fabricator goes to the customers house gives them the real price greater then the box store first price, more times than not he is out the door with nothing. I spent 45 min at the customers house and explained exactly how the box stores work, but the lady was stuck on the price that Lowes gave her. After paying all the money up front and waiting 2 wks for someone to template they are stuck with the box store if they want their job done faster even if the fabricators good price is lower than the box stores final price.

I have 20 home depots and 14 lowes with in 20 miles of my shop. You can’t drive anywhere with out seeing one.

Fab Man

When I moved my shop next door to a HD my business actually doubled in
    the first 12 months. Customers would get a quote from both of us. My quote itemized each and every asset of the job. Customers would ask why we were so expensive. I sent them back to HD and had them ask for an itemized quote to match mine.

That solved the problem. HD was actually more expensive.
    Their kitchen manager stopped by my shop and literaly told me there was no way I could compete with them. After I stopped laughing I told him, if necessary
    I could sell to the public for what it cost HD to buy the tops. Asked him if he was willing to get down and dirty. He wasn’t pleased and just left.

Sure, they still got work from those that didn’t shop around, but if those customers are that stupid, they deserve what they get.

Sure it took just a little longer to make up an itemized quote but it was a cheap investment. Didn’t take long before some of the workers in the HD kitchen dept came to us for their counter tops.

Best move I made, moving next door. I would even send my clean up guy over there with my company Tee Shirt on and have him walk around in the kitchen department just to break .

No one in their right mind would ever pay 100% up front. (I did say RIGHT MIND)

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

FabMan

That is what I don’t understand the 100% deposit.

How itemized did you get with you quote? Are you talking price for standard edge, splash and such or are you referring to color, upgrade edge, sink type etc.

Thanks

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.